Stove canisters and weight

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

bobcat
Bushwacker

Stove canisters and weight

Post by bobcat »

Question for canister stove folks. I have a 2-week trip coming up, and I am debating whether to bring 2 8-oz fuel canisters or 1 16-oz. My mathematics says it's actually lighter to bring the one big canister, since the canister weight is less than 2 of the medium canisters. With carrying out all my trash, I am carrying the (empty) container weight the whole time anyway. Last time I took a trip this long on Isle Royale I was still using white gas. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Stove canisters and weight

Post by Ingo »

I carry 2 canisters in case 1 leaks. Haven't had it happen, but know of at least 1 other who has--probably left the stove on it and not closed tight, but nonetheless.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

I carry two for three reasons. One for possible leaks. Two because I usually use slightly less that one can. If I had one I would have to carry a big can for a shorter trip to use it up. Three it's easier to pack the smaller cans.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

carry 2 different ones if you need that much. Same reasons as above. One canister failure and you're SOL

We did a 10 day with one 8 ounce canister so keep that in mind. Make sure you need that much fuel.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Im bringing five 16oz canisters with me on my next trip in a week. You can never have too much fuel right? Hahaha. Did I forget to mention that I am taking a month long trip and take a hot shower every day? ;)

Im also kayaking so weight isn't as much of an issues like it is for a hiker.

moderator note: posts merged.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)