Backpacking chairs?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Oraned
NewbieCake

Backpacking chairs?

Post by Oraned »

any of y'all ever tried them? I am considering a model made by REI and another by some company called Alite. These things weigh in the neighborhood of 1.5 lbs each and appear to pack down fairly small. looks like a better alternative than rocks or logs, especially for winter hikes when there is way more downtime. (I am not a night hiker).

I know some of you have never tried them, and will never try them, because you wouldn't dare consider the extra weight. and that's ok. No need to post that here. I'd rather hear just from those who have actually tried them to get some perspective. thx for any feedback be it good or bad.

moderator note: potential spam post, user banned.
Hashtag Grandpa
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Backpacking chairs?

Post by Hashtag Grandpa »

I just got back from 5 days Rock Harbor to Windigo. As a last minute addition, I borrowed an REI Flexlite Air chair. I’m so glad I did. It really saved my butt... definitely going on my Christmas list.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I have the 2 legged Alite Monarch and love it. Some don't like the 2 legs but I find it easy to balance. If there's a log or rock to put my feet up on I can doze off in it. It's just over a pound and I save an oz or 2 by using a velcro strap instead of the stuff sack.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Ingo wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:14 am I have the 2 legged Alite Monarch and love it. Some don't like the 2 legs but I find it easy to balance. If there's a log or rock to put my feet up on I can doze off in it. It's just over a pound and I save an oz or 2 by using a velcro strap instead of the stuff sack.
The Alite Monarch chair. I've been carrying one for a few years now and it's worth every ounce. I spent all day in mine under a tarp once because I was rain and windbound, so that gives you an idea of how comfortable they are. They look awkward as heck with just the two legs, but after a few minutes in it figuring it out, I was fine.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

The original post in this thread is potentially a sleeper spam post; looks legitimate but poster may come back later and enter a link in the text or signature. After searching the web for key words in the original post, I located a post in another backpacker forum (WhiteBlaze) that was the same word for word. I have banned the user.

If you see a post from a 1st time poster that looks legit, but doesn't mention anything about Isle Royale, you may want to hold off initially replying, and give the mods/administrators time to identify if the post is spam or potential spam.