Platypus GravityWorks 4.0 Filter

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

mmueller575
NewbieCake

Platypus GravityWorks 4.0 Filter

Post by mmueller575 »

Hello Everyone,

I am planning my very first trip to Isle Royal this coming summer in early June. I have been going back and forth on the various water filters that are available and which would be best for this trip. I was thinking of using my Platypus GravityWorks 4.0 Filter. Here's the link on Amazon so you can see the specs.

I already own this one, so I'm hoping that this one is good enough for the island. What do you guys think? Will it be okay or should I look into something different? Thanks! Can't wait to get there!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Platypus GravityWorks 4.0 Filter

Post by Ingo »

That's what I use, it's been great. Some will consider it a little heavy/large, but since you have it I don't see why you'd get anything different. You could get/use smaller bags if you want to save a few ounces. I've done that for backpacking--but more often I'm canoeing where weight is not as much an issue. Do test it before the trip if you haven't used it in a while (speaking from experience). The filter can permanently clog up if it's not stored properly, i.e. flushed with a bleach solution.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
mmueller575
NewbieCake

Post by mmueller575 »

This is awesome news! I was hoping not to buy something new, as I really like the Platypus! It has always worked great for me! I appreciate the tip about testing it out before we go again! Man would that be awful to find out it wasn’t in working order when we got to the island!
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

Like Ingo says, it's not worth spending money on anything else to save ounces, unless you go on a diet to drop pounds (as my triathlete friend says about bicycles).

If you really want to spend money or have a backup, I love my sawyer squeeze https://www.rei.com/product/103050/sawy ... ter-system the smaller lighter version https://www.rei.com/product/890900/sawy ... ter-filter makes a nice backup, but is quite a bit slower than the squeeze but it is only $20.

Again, as Ingo says filters can fail in storage. test it. I stored both of my squeezes (on primary one backup) properly, but they still didn't work when I got to the island. I was lucky to have brought the back flush supplies and I was able to get them working again. back flushing with the bottle did not provide enough pressure.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I own the GravityWorks 4.0 and love it. It makes getting water so simple. But to reiterate Ingo and Base654 said, the filter can fail in storage. I stored my GravityWorks filter properly and tested it before my last big trip, and it was as slow as molasses. No amount of back-flushing helped. I had to buy a new filter (which, now that I think about it, I'll be going to test soon...).
booyah
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by booyah »

So I dont own the platy, but I used the Sawyer gravity filter and used it to great success on the island.
Awfully nice to just hang it and let it to its job while you get to do whatever else is important (cook lunch!)

I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect that the sawyer, the platy and the MSR gravity all use the same filter element... They are all "High performance, .1 Micron hollow fiber" filters, of a very similar size and appearance.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I have the platypus and the sawyers (Squeeze and Mini). The platy will work just fine and no need to use anything else. The platy filter, like the sawyers, is hollow fiber. As long as it hasn't been frozen, it will work just fine. If there's a chance it's been frozen, then better to be safe and replace it.