Clothing in June

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Clothing in June

Post by HoosierHiker1202 »

Hey all,
I’ll be making my first trip to IR from June 21-26 this coming summer. Any chance you can help me think through type and quantities of clothing? We’re hiking from Windigo to RH. We know the weather can vary quite a bit, but we obviously don’t want to carry gear/clothing we don’t need. Here’s what I am tentatively thinking:
Two pairs of convertible pants
Two short sleeve T-shirt’s
One long sleeve T-shirt
Down jacket
Three pairs socks
Three pair underwear
Ranger hat
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Rain gear

Too much? Too little? Other items? Do people really wear head nets? Thanks in advance for your help on my little thought exercise.
First trip- June 2021 - Windigo to Rock Harbor
June 2022 - Moosewatch for Educators
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Clothing in June

Post by torpified »

I'll address the head:

*My first trip was almost exactly those dates! You'll be there for the solstice: sunset around 10, sunrise around 6, where it gets light well before official sunrise and stays light well after official sunset. So consider bringing something that might serve as a sleep mask. (I use a buff that I refrain from dousing in deet.)

*a wool/fleece hat can make a real difference if it's cold/rainy

*the headnet: weighs next to nothing, so it's the kind of thing where the regret you feel if you bring it but don't use it is tiny compared to the regret you'll feel if you leave it at home only to discover that you needed it.

ps and I do really wear my headnet: not only does it keep the flies out of my eyes, it makes for a delightful genre of pratfalls involving attempts to eat when I've gotten so used to it that I forget that I'm wearing it.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Agree on the hat and headnet. Otherwise it's very close to what I bring for backpacking:
- add lower base layer but only 1 pair of pants. Only use base layer in camp and can sleep in them if needed. Will wear base layer/rain pants in camp if convertibles need drying out.
- nylon shirt and fleece instead of down jacket. Worry about down getting wet. I'll bring one when canoeing just for in camp, but not when on the trail.
- four pair of socks. 1 pair strictly for sleeping, never to get wet.
- gaiters. Found them to be invaluable, there's been plenty discussion in the past.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

A third voice saying: Keep the headnet! Late June will likely be big bug season. If you haven't met Isle Royale/the Upper Peninsula's major pest, the Black Fly, you will.

I would also bring a fleece instead of the down jacket, and/or plan to pair the down jacket with the rain coat in case of cold wet weather (which is certainly possible).

This might just be me, but I don't like convertible pants. Especially if you end up in the middle of bugpocalypse, you'll want more skin covered and will end up leaving the legs attached anyhow.

(Some day, I should write the story of how someone stole gear right out of my tent -- not on Isle Royale -- and I ended up owning only the legs, but not the tops, of a pair of convertible pants.)
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

torpified is correct about the head net. I tried eating and or drinking with it still on my head (covering my mouth). What a mess!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Ingo wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:41 am - add lower base layer but only 1 pair of pants. Only use base layer in camp and can sleep in them if needed. Will wear base layer/rain pants in camp if convertibles need drying out.
I agree that only 1 pair of pants are needed. I also bring a base layer (lightweight long underwear bottoms and top) and will use them as Ingo suggested.
dcclark wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:47 am I would also bring a fleece instead of the down jacket, and/or plan to pair the down jacket with a rain coat in case of cold wet weather (which is certainly possible).
I like to bring a down sweater regardless of the season. I pair it with the rain coat when it is cold and/or windy. Even though your trip will be near the summer solstice where the daylight hours are long and the day temps mild, the evenings and mornings could be much cooler.
torpified wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:36 am *a wool/fleece hat can make a real difference if it's cold/rainy
A fleece cap is also useful to put on if you are cold while sleeping.
dcclark wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:47 am ...Keep the headnet! Late June will likely be big bug season. If you haven't met Isle Royale/the Upper Peninsula's major pest, the Black Fly, you will.
I also bring along some rubber bands to seal off my shirt/pant cuffs in an attempt to keep those pesky black flies from tunneling under my clothes.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

ps and I do really wear my headnet: not only does it keep the flies out of my eyes, it makes for a delightful genre of pratfalls involving attempts to eat when I've gotten so used to it that I forget that I'm wearing it.
torpified is correct about the head net. I tried eating and or drinking with it still on my head (covering my mouth). What a mess!

Pictures? :lol:
HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake

Maaaaannnn, you guys are great! Thanks for the timely feedback. If others have thoughts as well, I’d love to hear them. Can’t tell you how excited we are to get there. This trip was originally supposed to happen this past summer, but then the world changed. I’m looking forward to discovering the beauty and solitude. I’m sure I’ll have a few more questions before we go. Thanks again.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

HoosierHiker, I would only add that I always pack a down/puffy jacket. Mine weighs about 1 lb.(?) and packs down to the size of a cantaloupe. I always go to Isle Royale in June and I have experienced temperatures as low as 40 degrees. Of course I layer my clothing according to the conditions.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

I will say I do miss my down sweater when I don't bring it. Esp. when I have on (1) long sleeve base layer, (2) t-shirt, (3) nylon shirt, (4) fleece pullover, and (5) rain jacket, and am still a wee bit chilled, typically on the shore with a breeze. And feeling like the Sta-puff marshmallow man :). Just a question of weight.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

I probably go with less than most people. I like to bring one set of clothes for hiking and one set for sleeping. Made a quick video to address what all that entails if you are interested: https://youtu.be/wVq6B6E4SFo. It is pretty on par for what I would bring for a June trip to the island. In addition I would definitely bring a buff, headnet, my fleece hoodie, possibly my down jacket depending on forecast and a beanie on the island.

Two pairs of convertible pants -- Too many, 1 will suffice
Two short sleeve T-shirt’s -- Too many, 1 will sufice
One long sleeve T-shirt -- perfect
Down jacket - good idea for cold nights
Three pairs socks - I do 2 (one dry sleep pair, one hiking pair)
Three pair underwear - I do 2 (one dry sleep pair, one hiking pair)
Ranger hat - hat is always a good idea. I wear a ball cap and bring a beanie for sleeping
Hiking shoes - yep, I wear brooks trail runners paired with a dirty girl gaitor
Sandals - I bring crocs bc they are closed toe and still light (easy to strap to the pack). And obviously highly fashionable :)
Rain gear - yep (always needed on the island), although I tend to bring lighter wind pants instead of rain pants

I would add a baselayer to sleep in to your list
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Yeah, I'll rearrange my original advice: It would be better to pair the down jacket with your rain coat. Bring a fleece too!

Last year on my May trip, I was at 3 Mile and got caught in one of those offshore breezes that Ingo described. I put on ALL of my layers, made some hot tea, and snuggled into my 10 degree sleeping bag... on an XTherm pad... inside a tent... inside a shelter. I still had a hard time getting un-chilled!

Oh, and I second sneakymonkey's recommendation for crocs. Very handy.
HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake

Thanks for all the feedback. I’m more of a Birkenstock’s guy instead of Crocs, but otherwise, I’ll put your suggestions to good use. I appreciate all the advice.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

HoosierHiker1202 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:36 pmI’m more of a Birkenstock’s guy instead of Crocs.
My best ever camp shoes were a pair of Minnetonka soft sole moccasins (back when I think Minnetonka were the only ones making them). They were sort of suede but after use the sole toughened up to where they offered excellent protection and were very light weight.

I'm a bit surprised that fleece is still popular given all its exposure of how, through washing, it greatly contributes to the microplastic pollution of water and shorelines.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

Ingo wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:41 am - gaiters. Found them to be invaluable, there's been plenty discussion in the past.
Prior to my first backpacking trip, I read that gaiters were a necessary item, so I bought a pair. Never used them and have never carried them since.

Can you elaborate on how you find them useful, as I cannot find the discussions?
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike