sock debate

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

mlbmichigan+
NewbieCake

sock debate

Post by mlbmichigan+ »

There's plenty on the forum about waterproof boots versus trail runner shoes, and gaiter pros and cons. It sounds like regardless of what you wear your footwear of choice are gonna get wet. Do people find waterproof socks like sealskinzs beneficial?
Also, I see people love darn tough socks. Are the significantly better than Smart Wool or the REI equivalent thereof? I did order some DT hiking socks and they feel very tight on my fat ankles. My goal is no blisters and dry happy feet. Thanks, I am learning so much on this great forum!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: sock debate

Post by Ingo »

I discovered Fits socks a few years ago--they really do fit like a glove and conform perfectly to my feet. Up until then I was happy with Smart Wool, and still use them when I want something heavier--I have not tried the heavier versions of the Fits yet. Not sure how tight they'll feel on larger ankles--they are snug but comfortable for me.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ARRC »

I like Injinji merino wool sock liners with Altera llama wool socks over them. I'm guessing any good wool sock over injinji would be a great combination.

I have some seal skins, but have yet to try them, would like to hear what others experience is with them as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I found sealskins to be very clammy inside. I wouldn’t wear them to hike in, because if the water’s less than ankle-deep my boots work ok and if it’s deeper the sealskins risk getting over their depth.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I've had really, really good luck with Darn Tough socks, especially the 1/4 length light hikers---comfortable, unbelievably durable, no blister issues. For me, they were a significant step up from smartwool/REI merino hikers. Footwear's pretty personal, though: I wouldn't hike in shoes or socks that fit me funny, no matter how wildly popular they were!

https://www.rei.com/product/858818/darn ... cks-womens
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I've had good luck with Darn Tough, Smartwool, Fits, and Wigwam socks. They all have mostly-wool socks that are comfy and padded well and last a long time. On me, Fits is tighter, Wigwam looser, Darn Tough and Smartwool are in between.

I really don't like waterproof socks. Just like a "breathable" rain coat, they can get wet inside from perspiration (or overtopping) and leave you feeling sticky and clammy.

I've become a convert to lightweight trail running shoes over the last year. If your ankles are strong, they are a great choice that will dry out extremely fast. They also make it a lot easier (for me) to convince myself to just plow through puddles and mud, rather than trying to delicately dance across logs and rocks, or break a volunteer trail around it. They let me not be worried about overtopping, getting wet, or anything -- because I already know that will happen anyhow, and it won't be a problem!
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

no way you'd catch me hiking in waterproof socks. Can you say blister city!! haha. I am another fan of the darn tough brand. They far outlasted my smartwool socks.
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

I wear only Darn Tough. I did have a pair of Fits, but they did not wear well. The complex joints that allowed them to fit all wore thin very quickly. I feel DT socks need to be broken in. With time they confirm to the shape of your foot. I think it helps not to wash them too often. Their anti stink property is remarkable. I wear them for a week or two before before washing and they still don't smell.. They fit better as you wear them.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Another vote for Darn Tough
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

My favorite brand for hiking sock has disappeared. I’m guessing they went out of business or morphed into another brand. Anyone know what happened to Bridgedale? Their socks dried faster than any other brand. I think they had the balance perfected between wool, nylon, and stretch fiber. Fortunately I have quite a few pairs in my collection so I’m good for a while.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Bobcat1 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:07 am My favorite brand for hiking sock has disappeared. I’m guessing they went out of business or morphed into another brand. Anyone know what happened to Bridgedale? Their socks dried faster than any other brand. I think they had the balance perfected between wool, nylon, and stretch fiber. Fortunately I have quite a few pairs in my collection so I’m good for a while.
Bridgedale is still around. Not sure if they ship internationally or have US distribution though.

https://www.bridgedale.com/
mlbmichigan+
NewbieCake

Post by mlbmichigan+ »

thanks all! I just bought DT and Injini toe liners/socks and I love them both. the toe liners felt a bit strange at first but I can see how they're great for blister prevention. Appreciate the shared wisdom.