Stove Fuel - Windigo - June 4th

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

PhantomHiker
NewbieCake

Stove Fuel - Windigo - June 4th

Post by PhantomHiker »

Our group is planning to take the sea plane to Windigo on June 4th and I see that the Windigo store is not open until June 8th.

Do we have any options for buying\transporting canister stove fuel or do we need to look at changing our itinerary to begin in Rock Harbor?

**EDIT**
Mistakenly put isopropyl fuel - but meant regular canister stove fuel for pocket rocket type stoves.
Last edited by PhantomHiker on Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Stove Fuel - Windigo - June 4th

Post by IncaRoads »

For those that are taking the seaplane, they have a page on their website that describes how to obtain fuel for the 2021 camping season...
Isle Royale Seaplanes, 2021 Camp Fuel Info ---> https://www.isleroyaleseaplanes.com/about-8

Additional information from the park service on fuels available and recommended stoves...
Isle Royale National Park, Fuels and Stove ---> https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... stoves.htm

EDIT: rewrote this response after OP changed request from alcohol to butane.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I’ve read the seaplane folks have been arranging for fuel on the island. I’d give them a call.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

What is the plane's policy for drinking alcohol (carrying, not consuming to be clear :oops: )? A bottle of Everclear or equivalent would work just fine as it is 95% ethanol.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

Not sure what the OP was asking when he said isopropyl fuel. Isopropyl alcohol is a poor fuel for alcohol stoves. If he was asking about alcohol, I can answer as I recently asked the plane operators about alcohol fuel as that what I use.

Alcohol is not allowed on planes, nor are alcoholic beverages with an alcohol concentration high enough to be flammable. The airline will arrange canister gas stove fuel for you to pick up on arrival if you go when the shop is not open, but you need to arrange that in advance. Just email them. The replied with answered to all my questions within a day.
PhantomHiker
NewbieCake

Post by PhantomHiker »

Correction! I mistakenly put isopropyl stove fuel! We are just bringing the canister gas. Good to know the airline will do that, thank you for your answer!
kenlarson
NewbieCake

Post by kenlarson »

What BRAND of iso-butane fuel are they selling this yr. at the stores?
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Sterno is the current brand in stock. (Red 8ounce cans)