Backpacking knife

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Backpacking knife

Post by hooky »

dcclark wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:14 am I don't remember when I learned about fuzz sticks, but it was a long time ago, but I didn't have a name for them. I also definitely don't make them as well as the guy in that video!

A few years ago my father in law gave me a copy of a delightful book from the early 1970's called "On your own in the wilderness". It's a bizarre combination of detailed, step-by-step instructions for people who have never been outside, dramatically out-of-date gear advice, and offhand references to things that "everybody" knows (most of which I have no clue about). One of those offhand remarks is about a "fuzz stick", and that's how I learned the name.

I don't recommend the book, except as a glimpse into a very different era of both backpacking and the world in general, but for those purposes it's quite interesting.
Tap's Tips by H. G. Tapply was monthly article in Field & Stream magazine. It was a collection of 3 -4 seasonal tips and wisdom for hunting, fishing and camping. I just found and bought a used copy of his entire collection of tips. Lots of out of date info, but a great stroll down memory lane.

glitch99
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by glitch99 »

You actually had me stumped with "mumbleypeg" - had to google it. Glad to hear you're not intending to separate yourself from one of your toes!
84 WC-FL-SB-DS-HL-DF-RH
21 Win-FL-SB-DS-TH-MC-LC-RH
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Ha!! I haven't heard that term in... forever.

Someone I used to work with played a version of mumbleypeg with his work knife. He would place his hand on the table, spread all of his fingers and thumb, and then see how quickly he could jab the knife tip into the table between each of his fingers from one side to the other, and then back. We all laughed and called him crazy. Fortunately, he never sustained any injuries.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk