Water filter recommendation?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Water filter recommendation?

Post by Keweenaw »

zims wrote:I have a question for the experts here. Does anyone know anything about using ultra silver for purifying water?

Never heard anything about it, but it sounds like something that would be toxic to bacteria. I doubt it would kill tapeworm eggs.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Tom wrote:A quick word of awareness for those using gravity systems... (Disclosure: I've never used one but they look simplistically tempting.)
They hold one achillies heel for IR travellers, if you plan to go early or late season. They can't take a freeze. If the filter element freezes, it fails. Maybe make that two heels; in that I've heard that if they fail, they 'fail open' meaning the water still flows through, just unfiltered.
The filter elements in gravity systems are pretty much the same filters as are used in many other systems. So, that warning should apply to many filters, not just gravity filters.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

DonNewcomb wrote:
Tom wrote:A quick word of awareness for those using gravity systems... (Disclosure: I've never used one but they look simplistically tempting.)
They hold one achillies heel for IR travellers, if you plan to go early or late season. They can't take a freeze. If the filter element freezes, it fails. Maybe make that two heels; in that I've heard that if they fail, they 'fail open' meaning the water still flows through, just unfiltered.
The filter elements in gravity systems are pretty much the same filters as are used in many other systems. So, that warning should apply to many filters, not just gravity filters.

True! Most of the gravity and some of the pump filters use the new microtubule technology, which will definitely fail if frozen, but even the tried-and-true ceramic filter elements can crack if they freeze while saturated, it just takes them a bit longer (or colder) to freeze since they have more thermal mass.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

no silly
a friend was asking because they are hiking in montana this summer and I think he actually got the name wrong of the product, but I think its a scam anyway. I told him to just use a regular water filter for backpacking. but thanks
FroggyLeSeur
NewbieCake

Post by FroggyLeSeur »

I currently use a Platypus GravityWorks and i can tell you it is simply the best water filter i have ever used. It filters 4 liters of water in about 5 minutes. It's super easy to set up and take down and is about as compact as a regular pump. I highly recommend it to anyone.
egraetze
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by egraetze »

Seems to be many opinions express on filters, but thought I would open up the can of worms again just to make sure I purchase the right one.
On my original 2 trips to Isle Royale back in the late 80s, I used my First Need filter. Worked fine other than getting clogged at Chickenbone the first trip. It was not very practical as it was a pain to pump too.
On a trip more recently with Boy Scouts to Algonguin, we used Katadyn Base Camp gravity feed filters. That would have worked fine other than the scouts not being careful about feeding clear water into them. All clogged quickly and we used up our extra filter quickly.

I still have my First Need, but want something that works a bit better for pumping and does not clog easy. Any comments comparing the following, all of which are roughly the same price:
-MSR Miniworks EX
-MSR Sweetwater
-Katadyn Hiker Pro
-Sawyer Complete water filter system

This is for a week long trip with my 2 college aged kids. I'd like to use my narrow neck Nalgene water bottles to carry water, but would consider bringing a dromedary bag to pump filtered water into, then pour into the water bottles.
Eric
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

I too started with a First Need on Isle Royale but the residual glacial silt in Lake Superior clogged it quickly. I now use the MSR Miniworks EX. Biggest reason is that it is field maintainable. When it starts to clog, open it up and clean the filter element with the scrubbing pad.
Jesse
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Jesse »

Katadyn Hiker Pro is field-maintainable also. Definitely an important feature.
ddouglas55
NewbieCake

Post by ddouglas55 »

We've used MSR and Sweetwater filters on several of our trips and they work well. Good to have a backup replacement cartridge just in case. Last year we used the Katadyn Base Camp for the first time and it worked really well. The filter lasted for the week we were there but played out at the end of the trip. Easy to clean and uses the same cartridge as their Katadyn pump style filter. The Base Camp is a gravity feed system and sure saves a lot of pumping. I recommend a prefilter however, a paper coffee filter will do, it will make the carbon cartridge last longer.

Have a great trip!

Dave
JonG
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by JonG »

My Pur Hiker is 12 years old, it's filtered a thousand + liters of water. I replace the filter and O rings once a year or so, and use a coffee filter as a pre filter on the intake "acorn". I bought mine as a Pur "purifier" but they had some sort of legal hassles with labeling it a purifier rather than a filter. I ditched the rather large carbon filter part a long time ago and saved several ounces. Time has shown that I made a good purchase back then...how many other pieces of gear last 12 years and are still going strong?
leeblue5
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by leeblue5 »

Hands down the best, cheap, no PARTS to break! I made one and will never go back to my big clunky pump filter.
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearG ... ilter.html
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Hello Jerry, If you can tell I post at night since I work graveyard in the hospital...lol and yes, sometimes if I cant sleep I will head out to the next destination, thats what I have done in the smokeys. Not saying its smart.
egraetze
NewbieCake

Post by egraetze »

Isle Royale experience from this past week:
Waters filtered: South Lake Desor, Hatchet, Todd Harbor, McCargoe Cove.
Filter: MSR Miniworks, new
Number of people in group: 3
Experience: Even with water that appeared very clear, the MSR required cleaning every 2 or 3 liters. Most water from the sources contained debris, so we resorted to filling portable buckets to let the water settle, or to better filter our water making sure not to suck in debris. I was disappointed in the number of cleanings required, and the fact that the filter rarely operated at the claimed output rate. At McCargoe, another backpacker was using a Katadyn Hiker Pro. That filter seemed to produce clean water very quickly. I asked if they had to backflush and was told that they hadn't done so yet and had taken it on a number of trips. This included experience with filtering water out of East Chickenbone, which I know is often silty. I was satisfied with the ease of cleaning the MSR, but disappointed with the experience. I likely will get a Katadyn Hiker Pro for any future extended trip.

Eric
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

MSR sweetwater used in the Porkies, Isle Royale, GSMNP, etc. never a problem. No problem if frozen, at least my experience, with the ceramic filter. I always, get water, bring it back to camp, allow it to settle, prior to filtering. Only difficulties are if you are filtering mud(all filters will clog-they're filters), while on the trail; but, it is field cleanable.
I know this is not recommended, but, I usually only filter inland waters; and, I am in no way encouraging others to do the same, but, I drink from "The Lady" in carefully selected spots. She has never treated me bad; but, I am a Michigan boy, and she is my "Lady". 8)
HYOH
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
egraetze
NewbieCake

Post by egraetze »

All water that we filtered was very clear, but even with clear water the pump would need cleaning after 2 or 3 liters.
On a side note, one of the lifelong residents of the island gave a presentation at Rock Harbor. He said until about 15 years ago their drinking water was simply drawn from 40 feet down in the lake in Tobin Harbor. I can't believe that water quality had changed all of a sudden, but likely the result of people now believing that all water needed to be filtered, or be purchased in plastic bottles.
Eric