Gear / Bugs May 21-26

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Mallard1
NewbieCake

Gear / Bugs May 21-26

Post by Mallard1 »

Hello All, first time posting. This will be my second trip to the island and planning to hike from RH to Windigo.

I am wondering if I should expect bugs this early. I thought I was in the clear but am already starting to see a lot of bugs and mosquitos in the northern LP. I have been referring to the very helpful thread from Hoosier Hiker for clothing in June. I will be packing similar with a wool base layer and down jacket that can fit under the rain gear.

I am assuming bugs can be a factor any time of the year and I should plan for the worst.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Gear / Bugs May 21-26

Post by torpified »

Mallard1 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:45 am

I am assuming bugs can be a factor any time of the year and I should plan for the worst.
that's how I play it. A headnet weighs next to nothing. The disutility of bringing it and not using it is teeny; the disutility of leaving it home then needing it is huge.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

What torpified said. I always bring a headnet. The only thing that varies is how much bug dope I carry, which will be plenty for my mid-June trip.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Mallard1
NewbieCake

Post by Mallard1 »

Thanks guys, I will be adding the bug net for piece of mind.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Can't go wrong by taking along a bug net, no matter the season (outside of winter). I've been there a few times in late May/early June and, generally, very few to no bugs along the Lake Superior shore, but variable amounts of bugs as you go inland. The black flies one year at Mt. Franklin were bad, but once I dropped down to Tobin Harbor, nothing.
Last edited by treeplanter on Wed May 19, 2021 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

that's how I play it. A headnet weighs next to nothing. The disutility of bringing it and not using it is teeny; the disutility of leaving it home then needing it is huge.
I learned a new word today. Thanks torpified!