Boiling + filtering = too much?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

MJ73
NewbieCake

Boiling + filtering = too much?

Post by MJ73 »

Hi,

I'm getting ready for my first trip to the island, and very excited! Going from Rock Harbor to Windigo. Question about water treatment.... I'm planning to bring my old Whisperlite, buying fuel at Rock Harbor, and boiling water in the am and pm. I was also going to bring a filter, mostly because I initially misread the water treatment guidance to read "boil + filter" as opposed to "filter + treat". So now I am wondering whether I can simply boil water for treatment, and maybe just bring the filter as backup (or not at all, which seems risky if the stove kicks the bucket). I don't have a sense about whether the water will have lots of particles in it, which might make my boil-only strategy not that great.

Thanks for any advice!
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Boiling + filtering = too much?

Post by backwoods doc »

I just filter. You'll use a lot of fuel if you boil.

By the way, be aware that you can take fuel with you on the ferry, just not if you come by plane.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I'm a filter only person too.

A proper filter is all you really need in the back country of North America.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Most folks (and I) filter only with a good .2 micron or better filter. The "+ treat" seems to be an abundance of caution on the part of the NPS. Boiling alone will kill about anything that would harm you, but most opt for the convenience of a filter--gravity systems are particularly handy. And while the water from the lakes is generally pretty clear, you do have the particle issue in addition to the fuel and time it takes to boil.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ditto the other responses. Just boiling requires a lot more fuel. Plus there will be the occasions when you roll into camp with empty water bottles, very thirsty, only look forward to a wait for the boil and a longer one for it to cool. Pre-filtering is always a good recommendation when the source has any visible contamination. Most sub-micron filters will require less maintenance and if you are just boiling, the water will taste a bit less "soupy". Coffee filters are a good pre-filter choice.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

MJ73 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:47 am Hi,

I'm getting ready for my first trip to the island, and very excited! Going from Rock Harbor to Windigo. Question about water treatment.... I'm planning to bring my old Whisperlite, buying fuel at Rock Harbor, and boiling water in the am and pm. I was also going to bring a filter, mostly because I initially misread the water treatment guidance to read "boil + filter" as opposed to "filter + treat". So now I am wondering whether I can simply boil water for treatment, and maybe just bring the filter as backup (or not at all, which seems risky if the stove kicks the bucket). I don't have a sense about whether the water will have lots of particles in it, which might make my boil-only strategy not that great.

Thanks for any advice!
Love the Whisperlite! If you haven't, a good idea to take the pump apart to check and/or replace the o rings (I lube them with siicone grease) and the leather on the end of the pump, make sure it is pliable. I clean the cable in the fuel tube and the burner assembly and jet with white gas. Lube the o ring on the fuel bottle cap also. If youare taking the ferry, you can bring fuel with you.
I am also a "filter only" person. Check to make sure there aren't any algae issues at any of the inland lakes. I am a fan of the filters that allow you to either clean them (ceramic filter element) or backflush.
MJ73
NewbieCake

Post by MJ73 »

Thanks, everyone! Looks like I can bring less fuel now, and plan on filtration for much of the water. Saves me buying a bigger fuel bottle....