Recommended affordable 0.4 micron filter brands?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

temporary-human
NewbieCake

Recommended affordable 0.4 micron filter brands?

Post by temporary-human »

I need to purchase a 0.4 micron filter and was wondering if anyone has any affordable brands they recommend?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Recommended affordable 0.4 micron filter brands?

Post by Ingo »

Sawyer and Platypus seem to be the most popular brands these days--Sawyer is more affordable. I have a Platypus gravity system, but used a Sawyer mini filter with the Platypus bags my last trip, since I needed a new filter and the Sawyer is much cheaper. Starting from scratch, I'd suggest the Sawyer gravity system, with a couple of squeeze pouches as backup (I do like the Platypus system, but it is a little pricey). Make sure you test before you go and store properly (speaking from experience).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Ingo wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:17 am Sawyer and Platypus seem to be the most popular brands these days--Sawyer is more affordable. I have a Platypus gravity system, but used a Sawyer mini filter with the Platypus bags my last trip, since I needed a new filter and the Sawyer is much cheaper. Starting from scratch, I'd suggest the Sawyer gravity system, with a couple of squeeze pouches as backup (I do like the Platypus system, but it is a little pricey). Make sure you test before you go and store properly (speaking from experience).
I second Ingo's advice.

A Platypus dirty water reservoir bag like this
https://www.platy.com/platypus-accessor ... voirs.html

And replacement hose kit like this
https://www.platy.com/platypus-accessor ... -kits.html

Add a sawyer mini or squeeze with a couple of the squeeze pouches and you have what I use these days.

It looks like this
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Can’t go wrong with a sawyer squeeze. Meets all the specs for the island and is budget friendly. Easy to use too! Just don’t let it freeze.
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

I like the Versaflow filter by HydroBlu better than the Sawyer. It has hose and tread connections on both ends so you can hook it up and back flush with no adapters. I have two Evernew bags. The dirty one screws on the dirty side. The clean one crews on the clean side. Hang it from a branch. Come back a few minutes later and the dirty bag is empty and the clean bag is full. Remove the dirty bag and squeeze the clean bag to backflush. Couldn't be easier.