late July canoe trip: packs, sleeping bag

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Brittanyp_10
NewbieCake

late July canoe trip: packs, sleeping bag

Post by Brittanyp_10 »

My husband and I have a 7-night IR canoe trip coming up at the end July/early August. We've done shorter canoe overnights but this will be our longest trip, and first trip period on IR. Most of our gear is ready, but we still have a couple of questions.

We were planning on using two 65L backpacks with our belongings in dry sacks, but in searching forums we've now been introduced to the wonderful world of giant canoe packs, barrels, etc. We are planning to pack light and rely on freeze dried food. Any recommendations for best set-up?

It looks like low temperatures in late July/early August are in the mid 50s. My husband is thinking of using his REI Helio sack, rated for 55F. Will that be enough, or should he use a colder-weather bag (he has a 20F one).

Thanks for your help.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: late July canoe trip: packs, sleeping bag

Post by backwoods doc »

We use true backpacks on canoe trips to IR -- much more suited to the relatively long portages -- and likewise put our clothes and sleeping bags in watertight bags within our packs. So I think your 65L packs sound great.

I would opt for a colder weather sleeping bag. We've seen low temps in the high 30's during the time period you're going.

You'll also want to use a lightweight, Kevlar canoe, if possible.

Be aware that there's an algae bloom in Lake Richie now -- so you can't drink the water, swim, or fish there.

I'd be interested in seeing your itinerary.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Where are you getting the canoe from? I ask, because there are some caveats about renting on the island. If you’re bringing your own, great. If it was me, I would try to go as light in gear as you would when backpacking, but then pack into one large and one moderate canoe pack. This way, one person carries the canoe and a moderate pack, and one person carries the large pack and all the loose stuff, on portages. I’ve never used the barrels, so can’t help you there.

About the sleeping bag, campgrounds in the interior of the island can be quite warm while a shoreline campground, with wind off the Lake, can be very chilly, at the same time. I have never regretted bringing a warmer sleeping bag.
Last edited by Bobcat1 on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I typically bring a portage pack and a regular backpack for 2 people. I have 2 portage packs, but don't need quite that much room. I also pack most things in dry bags (have 20L and 13L), but when you do that it is harder to fill the pack efficiently and inevitably have some wasted space. That said, if I only brought what I'd bring backpacking, 2 65L liter packs could work. Some extras I bring canoeing, however, include: camp chairs, tarp, frying pan for fish and pancakes (sometimes kind folks give you fish even if you're not fishing), butter (see frying pan), VHF radio, extra suntan lotion, and a full set of extra clothes in a dedicated dry bag in case of a full immersion event (the most important extra).

As for the sleeping bag, definitely the 20F. That's what I use now, regardless of the month. I've used a 35F, which is OK with a liner and base layers if needed, but a 55 deg bag is just too light IMO, especially on Lake Superior sites. When the wind is blowing off the lake it gets significantly colder, by up to 20 degs or more. He may get by, but I've seen temps below 40 in July. I've also slept on top of my bag--it can vary a lot.

What's your itinerary?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

I’d go with the warmer sleeping bag for sure. We went with 50 deg bags once in July and were pushing the comfort level for a couple really cold nights. Especially if you have the space with the canoe.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

It got down to 30° a few nights ago in MN. We use portage packs and our gear goes in dry bags inside the portage packs. We have a "day" bag with map, compass, snacks ect. Mr. Ingo knows his stuff, he has lots of experience canoing and portaging IR. I agree with others about bringing as light a canoe as possible. Not sure what your trip plans are, that would help. A minimum of a weather radio is a must (IMO), a VHF if you are to paddle any exposed waters.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

johnhens wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:37 am We have a "day" bag with map, compass, snacks ect.
Good point. Mine also includes raingear--it gets strapped to a larger pack for portages.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Brittanyp_10
NewbieCake

Post by Brittanyp_10 »

Thanks to all of you for your responses. Your advice quickly settled the sleeping bag issue: my husband will bring his 20F bag. And after reading your suggestions and doing a lot of additional research, we did decide to go with one portage pack and one backpack (with dry sacks inside).

The other advice is much appreciated. Our canoe is a 17 Wenonah in the ultralight kevlar (44 lbs), so we'll be as good as we can be for portages. We got a VHF radio, though will be trying to minimize exposure to the Lake.

We're still planning our itinerary, but I will post it here for your feedback in the next couple of days. Thanks again.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Brittanyp_10 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:59 pm We're still planning our itinerary.
Hmm. I hope you've made ferry reservations, including any legs circumnavigating the island on the Voyageur II to get to good drop-off/pick-up spots. Word is that there are few if any spots left.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC