Homemade Gear & Gadgets

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Homemade Gear & Gadgets

Post by Backpacker534 »

My buddy came up with the idea so, I can't take credit for it but, I thought it was a pretty cool concept and we have been using it for a couple years now and it works great. It's always nice to be able to use two hands when unpacking gear instead of using one to keep the bag upright. It's also nice to be able to keep your pack off the dirty, muddy ground. Enjoy your new toy. I'm sure you'll get many good years out of it.
larrysheldon
NewbieCake

Post by larrysheldon »

Thought this would be a good place to post this: I work in surgery and we use these heavy duty plastic covers to keep things like lights sterile. We usually throw away at least 2 per every operation. Well... they make excellent pack covers. They have elastic around them and stretch over and fit normal to large size backpacks perfectly. I'm thinking about getting rid of my $40 Gregory cover because it weighs considerably more than these bags weigh. I would be willing to send anyone one if they pay for shipping. I just went to IR Jun 24th for the first time and fell in love with the place! I would love to come back and see people utilizing these instead of throwing them away all day like I currently do. Email me if you are interested : wildwoodlarry@yahoo.com
It would cost you 5 bucks or less for a very nice backpack cover!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Speaking of surgery, the bottles that sterile saline comes in are some of the best water bottles you can get.