Coffee making, best methods

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

DaveH
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Coffee making, best methods

Post by DaveH »

I use a filter kit made by coghlan's, it comes with a bunch of small coffee filters that have holes punched in them at the top that a plastic rod goes through and supports it on the top of your mug. Easy to use and tastes better than instant or singles because you use your favorite coffee, cheap too.
http://coghlanscampinggear.com/coonecupcofi.html
TomM1940
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by TomM1940 »

Outstanding comments by all. After extensive debate based on much of the information provided on this very forum, the dads that accompanied Boy Scout troop 57 on a recent campout came to the following conclusion. For back packing, the Maxwell House individual packets hit the mark. Coffee is reasonable in taste as reported on same recent campout, and little extra equipment is needed for what you normally bring. I'm sure this might be subject to more discussion in the continuing paddeling vs. hiking discussion where equipment discussion continues. But the revelation came from Mike our local fire fighter who brought the Stanley 2.0Qt Classic Brushed Vacuum Bottle filled with hot home made coffee that easily stays hot through a typical scout weekend campout. Hot coffee at any time even at 11 PM watching stars that seem get brighter by the minute.
loreeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by loreeh »

I love my coffee beans but lately have used the coffee bags, not quite as good. I was going to buy that small MSR filter but when someone said it was over-priced thought I'd look around. I found a new one that's collapsible with 3 plastic attachable arms to fit almost any size mug. It's a GSI product, Utralight Javadrip. Only $10.00 but I got it for $8. on sale at Hoigaards. My trip is June 15th so I'll let you know how it works. It's always fun with new gadgets.
loreeh
NewbieCake

Post by loreeh »

I just looked at that filter from coghlan's and looks like you could easily put holes in a small #4 filter and find a stick to hold it over your cup.
Bkrnclmbr
NewbieCake

Post by Bkrnclmbr »

I recently purchased a Melitta Ready-set-joe coffee maker (holds a paper filter, sits on top of your mug while you pour hot water through). I got it for 2 bucks at krogers and it came with a couple filters. I've tried it out several times since i got it and like it a lot. For 2 bucks it's definitely cost effective, but you do still have to carry paper filters. It says its a single cup coffee maker, but i've loaded it with 4 tablespoons of grounds and made a nice 24 oz cup of coffee no problem.
Attachments
Melita Ready-set-joe
Melita Ready-set-joe
melita.jpg (28.51 KiB) Viewed 7986 times
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

I have an UCO candle lantern, and purchased a collapsible metal shade for it that was advertised it could be used as a coffee filter holder on the trail as well as a shade...works ok as a filter, but not worth carrying for the filtering alone.
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
stevengraff
NewbieCake

Post by stevengraff »

Bkrnclmbr, I'm with you. Minimal weight and cost, coffee in one ziploc, filters in another. Filters weigh nothing; filter holder weighs nothing. Use any mug. Bring grounds from home, whatever flavor you like.
Bkrnclmbr wrote:I recently purchased a Melitta Ready-set-joe coffee maker (holds a paper filter, sits on top of your mug while you pour hot water through). I got it for 2 bucks at krogers and it came with a couple filters. I've tried it out several times since i got it and like it a lot. For 2 bucks it's definitely cost effective, but you do still have to carry paper filters. It says its a single cup coffee maker, but i've loaded it with 4 tablespoons of grounds and made a nice 24 oz cup of coffee no problem.
Nitsirk
NewbieCake

Post by Nitsirk »

Maxwell House makes sealed filter packs of coffee. They are better than instant and no grounds. One of these is a couple cups of coffee for both my hiking partner and me. Its super easy: Boil Water, Remove from heat, Toss filter pack in and wait until coffee is desired strength. No need for extra gear.

Here is a link to them on amazon for illustration purposes even though they are sold out. My grocery store carries these. I just repack them in a ziploc bag and take one for each day we plan to be in the back country. He found these years ago and we have never considered using anything else.
http://www.amazon.com/Maxwell-House-Fil ... B000FKEWRM
emerysar
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by emerysar »

I know this is an old thread, but Starbucks now makes perfect insant coffee for the trail in their VIA brand packets.

They weigh next to nothing, and no dunking involved--add hot water and stir. By far the best instant coffee out there.
michigandave
NewbieCake

Post by michigandave »

I agree on the Starbucks Via. It tastes great and combined with the coffee mate all in one creamer-sugar dry packets, it really gets you going in the morning. Our only regret on the last trip we took is that we didn't bring enough. It's not the cheapest solution, but it's easy.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I like the new VIA packets as well. You can double them up if you want a real kick in the shorts.

The only downside to them is they're about a buck a cup.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Ziggy wrote:+1 on the JetBoil Java Press. This works fantastic. If you have a JetBoil and like coffee, it's a must have. I'll also be keeping my man card until I start steaming powdered milk to add into it.
I too use the JetBoil Java press. Been using it at home too since I broke the glass of my home French press. One of the things that I do not like about it though is the mess that I have to clean up afterwards. And it also taints my one pot if we are doing one pot camping with boiled water and instant food. At home it is not a big deal but on the trail cleaning it uses a lot of water.

Might do the Starbucks Via instant coffee next trip.
DP89
NewbieCake

Post by DP89 »

PatrickBDunlap wrote:
Ziggy wrote:+1 on the JetBoil Java Press. This works fantastic. If you have a JetBoil and like coffee, it's a must have. I'll also be keeping my man card until I start steaming powdered milk to add into it.
I too use the JetBoil Java press. Been using it at home too since I broke the glass of my home French press. One of the things that I do not like about it though is the mess that I have to clean up afterwards. And it also taints my one pot if we are doing one pot camping with boiled water and instant food. At home it is not a big deal but on the trail cleaning it uses a lot of water.

Might do the Starbucks Via instant coffee next trip.

I have the Jetboil press too and I like it. But I haven't used it yet on the trail, so it is really a pain to clean up, eh? Maybe I'll just bring the singles to the Island.
fredly
NewbieCake

Post by fredly »

Tried the Starbucks VIA packets and they taste very good. Just expensive! $9.99 for 12 servings.
I found Taster's Choice has something very similar, (same type of package). They taste very good as well, but at $3.24 for 20 servings, I'll use those!
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

fredly wrote:Tried the Starbucks VIA packets and they taste very good. Just expensive! $9.99 for 12 servings.
I found Taster's Choice has something very similar, (same type of package). They taste very good as well, but at $3.24 for 20 servings, I'll use those!

The starbucks coffee is great and yes very expensive, but it gets the job done.
I did like the tasters choice Columbia blend instant too, very strong flavor and gets the job started but not done