Footprint or No Footprint, that is the question......

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

dqdave
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Footprint or No Footprint, that is the question......

Post by dqdave »

I'm a Newbie for this forum and have not backpacked for 30 years. Back then, if we had a footprint, it would be a piece of plastic.
Is it worth carrying the extra half pound for that wonderful isle royale "dry" ground?
Our tent is a Copper Spur UL 2.
rxgac
NewbieCake

Re: Footprint or No Footprint, that is the question......

Post by rxgac »

i use a plastic footprint. ususally 2-4mil cut to an inch or two less than the shape of tent usually just adds a few ounces. figure if i'm spending a couple hundred bucks for a tent, then protecting the bottom with 2 bucks of visqueen is worth it. i think some of the newer tents that have footprints are designed so they can be used with just the rainfly and footprint, ala tarptent. leave the main body at home.
MIKE A
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by MIKE A »

I use DuPont™ Tyvek® house wrap .
Its used to wrap house walls etc.
Its strong ,light weight and water proof.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'll say this - Know thy own tent floor and seams. For whatever reason, when the ground on I.R. is wet, it's REALLY wet. Kinda a peat/sponge that just keeps pushing out moisture. If you don't think your tent floor will keep you dry, opt to bring the footprint.
Personally, I've always packed mine, and always have used it...
dqdave
NewbieCake

Post by dqdave »

What's a few more oz. for a litlle protection from the wet Isle Royale. You all have convinced me that a footprint is a required item. Thanks.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Just to be a different voice I'll say I've never used one. I guess I don't know what I've missed, and I just try to remove any sharp rocks etc first. I've never owned a footprint actually. I have sat out some wicked rain and have had minimal wetness in my tent, so I will reseal this weekend.
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

MIKE A wrote:I use DuPont™ Tyvek® house wrap .
Its used to wrap house walls etc.
Its strong ,light weight and water proof.
I use tyvek too. I cut it to size then run it through the front loading washer (don't use a top loader, it could damage the spindle) with just cold water, no detergent. That softens up the material a little.
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Hooray! I got to read the forums! I've been on the road, and then had to work all weekend, and they blocked the forums at work now, so I can't reply as easily as I used to :(

Foot prints on IR (and just in general) are a necessity in my book. The big thing is protecting the basin of your tent from damage, but also from the wetness that miraculously seeps up from the ground no matter how little rain there is. I always buy the companion footprint for my tent (well, my one tent I've owned my entire life) because I'm a stickler for uniformity, but any piece of strong plastic works.

I also use the foot print for underneath my sleeping pad when I'm in a shelter too. Just to protect my INFLATIBLE sleeping pad from any nails, splinters, little rocks, etc. that might be poking up from the floor.

Protect your investments...your tent basin, your sleeping pad, you sleeping bag...and keep dry. Pack the few extra ounces.
dqdave
NewbieCake

Post by dqdave »

Which leads me into asking about the sleeping pad. I've got a wonderful thermolite that's clamped on the outside of the backpack without protection. You gave me good advice. I must confess, I had not thought of my sleeping bag on a very wet "all day long" rainy sleeping pad.
Thanks.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

My buddy and I use Tyvek under our tent as well. He found a small leftover roll in the garbage at a construction site. We cut out a piece just large enough for our tent and its vestibules and have used it every time we hike. Not only does it help keep the tent dry when the ground is wet or it's raining, it also just helps keep the bottom a little more dirt-free and hopefully will make it last a little longer.
trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by trailgoat »

Another Tyvek guy here. Personally, I think most tents nowadays are tough enough to endure without a groundsheet, but I always ere on the side of caution. Plus, I prefer a clean tent when I pack up each morning. The Tyvek is easier to store in an outside pocket where the rest of my gear won't get dirty....or wet.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau