Windigo Store

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

laqtis
NewbieCake

Re: Windigo Store

Post by laqtis »

Thanks, em. Very helpful post.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Pioneer Spirit wrote:So you can walk the length of the island, resupply at the store and hike back another route?
That's always risky. You may get there and find them out of everything but oatmeal and ice cream.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

emerysar wrote: No phone services available in Windigo, except for dire emergencies only through the ranger station. Store worker/owner said that the deck outside the Windigo store was a WiFi Hot Spot though, and if I had satellite capabilities on my phone or netbook, I could get online. (I didn't bring those things to IR, I just asked to find out what was available to be able to report back to you guys on here!)
This sounds a bit non sequitor. WiFi is short-range wireless, usually 100' or less. Satellite is just that. If it's a WiFi hotspot you would not need anything satellite to use it. You can see the thread on cell phones in the "Transportation & Lodging" forum for information about using phones at I.R. The data connections at I.R. are somehow based on cellular service but not on ATT's extended range GSM. I have not figured out exactly what sort of data link they have. Last year one of the rangers was kind enough to send my wife an e-mail to tell her that my satellite phone died and she should not be alarmed about the lack of phone calls.
laqtis
NewbieCake

Post by laqtis »

We were in Windigo on 8/22. The store was still trying to recover from the resupply delays caused by bad weather the week previous; only serving P B and J sandwiches (which it more than fine with me). However, IMHO they still had plenty of food, albeit not all of it was trail food. Overall, I was very impressed with the store.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

There is free WiFi at the Windigo store; I used it this morning when I woke up. It's even possible to get a weak (but usable) signal from the dock.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Tampico wrote:There is free WiFi at the Windigo store; I used it this morning when I woke up. It's even possible to get a weak (but usable) signal from the dock.
It would be really cool if that link was fairly high speed. Many modern phones have WiFi and Voip capabilities. Free phone calls from Windigo sounds good to me. I wonder if they installed satellite-based Internet access at Windigo?
Last edited by DonNewcomb on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I was impressed with how fast it was. I don't know if it would be fast enough for VOIP. I'm fairly certain it was cellular-based as there was a small 5 or 6 element yagi on their tower directed towards the Grand Portage/Grand Marais area.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Tampico wrote:I was impressed with how fast it was. I don't know if it would be fast enough for VOIP. I'm fairly certain it was cellular-based as there was a small 5 or 6 element yagi on their tower directed towards the Grand Portage/Grand Marais area.
Based on the descriptions it sounds like a point to point WiFi (802.11x). As long as there is line of sight, the antenna has high enough gain and the transmitter power high enough it is a fairly easy connection. To span the roughly 22 to 23 miles a combined antenna height of 120 to 170 feet (2x60 ft or 1x10ft plus 1x160 ft) would be needed. Directional high gain Yagi antennas are often used. There are places that span 150 miles using fairly inexpensive gear (assuming you've already got a large hill or tower).

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Tampico wrote:There is free WiFi at the Windigo store; I used it this morning when I woke up. It's even possible to get a weak (but usable) signal from the dock.
Wow wifi at Windigo? Crazy! I wonder if maybe the Ranger Station forgot to secure their access point :lol:

I'm not sure how I feel about that whole situation anyway. It reminds me about the Backpacker.com article discussing whether or not cellular towers should be put up in National Parks to facilitate phone calls. As far as I'm concerned, the reasons against doing such a thing outweighs the reason to put them up. I know wifi covering a few hundred feet on a "civilized" part of the island isn't even the same ball park, but it still begs the question. Although, I think it would be cool to get some on-the-island reporting :)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

fonixmunkee wrote:Although, I think it would be cool to get some on-the-island reporting :)
The possibilities are limitless even if the bandwidth is not.

:lol: Like a Washington Creek Moose Cam? :lol:
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

fonixmunkee wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about that whole situation anyway. It reminds me about the Backpacker.com article discussing whether or not cellular towers should be put up in National Parks to facilitate phone calls. As far as I'm concerned, the reasons against doing such a thing outweighs the reason to put them up.
The horse left that barn long ago.
http://www.terrestar.com/
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

DonNewcomb wrote:
Pioneer Spirit wrote:So you can walk the length of the island, resupply at the store and hike back another route?
That's always risky. You may get there and find them out of everything but oatmeal and ice cream.
I know this is a little late, but whats wrong with living off of ice cream sandwiches and quaker maple brown sugar oatmeal. Nothing wrong with that HA HA HA That would suck lol
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Complete Sidebar: The last time my girlfriend and I were on the island last year and we did a round trip from Rock Harbor to Windigo back to Rock Harbor, when we got to Windigo we totally splurged. After doing laundry and taking a couple of long showers, we pigged out on two pizzas and several other goodies. I am happy to say it was the best $110 I ever spent!
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

Although I have been to Isle Royale a couple of times I am new to the forum. Can anyone tell me the 2012 season opening dates for the Windigo store and also the Rock Harbor grill/cafe?

I am planning a trip across the island for June 6-12 and plan on leaving a resupply bag at the store for the last couple of days at the Windigo end.
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

kolo wrote:Although I have been to Isle Royale a couple of times I am new to the forum. Can anyone tell me the 2012 season opening dates for the Windigo store and also the Rock Harbor grill/cafe?

I am planning a trip across the island for June 6-12 and plan on leaving a resupply bag at the store for the last couple of days at the Windigo end.
From the 2012 Greenstone:

Lodge Dining Room & Greenstone Grill
Hearty meals, including fresh Lake Trout. Visitors
welcome for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Food service
Opens 6/5, Closes 9/8.

Windigo Store and Marina
Offers groceries, cold sandwiches, camping supplies,
stove fuel, daily fishing licenses and tackle, gifts and photo
supplies. The marina offers gasoline, pump-out service, and
motorboat, canoe and kayak rental. Shower and laundry
facilities available. Services Open 6/5, Close 9/10.