Boots

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: Boots

Post by Kevinl »

As long as we are talking about protecting our tender feet, here's a practice I've found helpful. The first thing I do when I reach my daily destination, as soon as I take off my pack, is to lose my boots and socks and stand or sit in water for twenty minutes or so. On Isle Royale, that generally means beyond the time it takes for my feet to get numb. But that twenty-minute foot soak is so valuable. I can't recommend it enough, especially with so much cold water available. Your feet will thank you.
menogyn09
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by menogyn09 »

I just purchased the Vasque Crestone boot. It is very, very light, above the ankle, and very comfortable. I got them for $100 at Dick's Sporting Goods. Not too bad. I can't wait to try them out! Thanks for the help.
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

me too!

Post by upnorthjeeper »

I just picked up some new boots myself this weekend. They were on sale at a local outdoor store, marked down from ~120 to ~$95 w/ tax. They are the Irish Setter (made by Red Wing Shoe's, made in USA) Shadow Trek 3858. They are tall boots (8") because I know my ankles need extra support. They had an uninsulated, 200mg and 800mg Thinsulate models, all of them Gore-Tex lined. I chose the uninsulated pair as I know I'll be wearing thickly padded socks. I already have various insulated boots for winter, I wanted something a little more versatile for the other 3 seasons.
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I have a problem fitting boots (and shoes). I use custom orthotic inserts and my shoes and boots have to be selected to fit the inserts. This greatly limits my choices and means that I no longer mail-order boots. What I presently use are a pair of light-weight "Keen" hybrid boots. Molded soles, uppers are a combination of cloth and leather. Sort of a cross between boots and high-top sneekers. They were the only boots at the REI I visited that fit both the inserts and my feet.

I also have a pair of heavy-weight low-top leather hiking oxfords.

My brother has been reading about Isle Royale; he decided to buy a pair of L.L. Bean Maine Hunting Boots (rubber lowers, leather uppers). His regular boots are Salomons with the flaps that cover the front of the boot (I don't know the model.)

I'm wondering if either he or I need to be doing something different? My concern is that my Keen boots aren't really 100% waterproof. I'm waxing the leather now and will spray the cloth with a tent waterproofing. I'm also concerned that his rubber boots will give him more foot problems than they solve.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

DonNewcomb -
I guess it somewhat depends on when you go. I would probably think that the LL Bean Maine hiking boots would be too warm/sweat during most of the season. That being said, it's the type of boot I saw Rolf Peterson wearing this June on the boat, so who am I to argue..

The trails can be wet in the morning. You may wish to carry a pair of gortex liner socks just in case, since once the boots get soaked they'll typically stay that way until you get out of them and let them dry.

Just because I don't like risking a twisted ankle (which wouldn't be hard on many of the trails) I leave my Ecco Trail shoes for the camp.