Boots

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

menogyn09
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Boots

Post by menogyn09 »

I've been browsing around the site in search of specific boots that you guys use. I'm going on an 11 day backpacking trip at the end of july to the beginning of august. I've only seen one specific boot, the Asolo TPS 520, which is way out of my price range. Can you just post which boot you use and why? That would be a huge help. I was originally just going to use my Merrell trail-runners, but everyone i have spoken to says boots are a must. I used to have REI Monarchs that I grew out of. I liked them....any suggestions?
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Boots

Post by upnorthjeeper »

same here, please let use know what you wear... so many choices
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
Kevinl
Bushwacker

Post by Kevinl »

I use a Merrell hiking boot, not even sure what the specific model name is. If you are carrying lots of weight, or going to be on rocky trails like the Minong, a boot should be a necessity. Everyone's feet are different, and my boot which I like a lot might be very uncomfortable for others. My suggestion is to find a store where the worker knows what he or she is talking about and can help fit the right boot for your foot type and hiking conditions.

Boots or shoes are one of the few things I avoid buying online.

Good luck.
Kevinl
Bushwacker

Post by Kevinl »

The tag inside says my Merrells are Chameleon Wrap Goretex http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/ViewPro ... leryId=M-F

I've found them to be a fine boot, no complaints. They've taken me lots of places. Sorry I didn't take the time to figure that out in the previous post.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Here's my quick review of the hiking boots I've worn:

Vasque Sundowners - The original style, made in Italy, I think. Love'd em. Great on the feet, often considered the 'classic' hiking boot, no doubt. Bummer they disappeared out of the back of the truck. I'm not sure on the newer (China) model, but have heard some dislikes that they've cheapened down.

Then,
Vasque Clarion GTX. Light; not bad for backpacking, would be fine on IR, just not a full leather. Breathe well, gortex eventually tore through but I still keep them up at the family cabin for trekking around.

Vasque ??? - Mountaineering boot, essentially (Not like a Koflach, though) -Accept cramptons. HEAVY. Wore them to IR once, that killed me and my feet. Demoted to occasional ice climbing.

Asolo TPS 520. Undoubtedly pricey, but worth every cent. Full leather upper; comfort out of the box; hold up well. My latest 'investment' of a boot. Turned me into a Asolo fan, for sure.

Good luck! It seems that the feet are often the weakest link with many hikers, so just make sure you pick a pair that is both comfortable, and can hold up (and your feet together) for several days with a pack on.
menogyn09
NewbieCake

Post by menogyn09 »

thanks alot! keep it coming! I have used Vasque's before on weekend trips and what not and I was always extremely happy with the performance they gave me. Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming!
k2one
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by k2one »

Vasque Breeze,(mid size hiker)great out of the box comfort and short break in time!I purchased them at R.E.I. and they put them on sale from time to time.
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

Asolo FSN 95 GTX Hiking Boots. Comfortable, I use them for camp shoes just by loosening the laces. They were warm enough for mid-May hiking (a little snow still on the island last year), and I expect they will be fine for this July.

One thing I do is bring a spare pair of smartfeet insoles. This lets me switch between them and the original insoles to give my feet a change and hopefully help prevent any blisters.
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by upnorthjeeper »

Thanks guys, I do agree... after buying some shoes online I decided that it was a mistake, must be able to test for fit.
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
menogyn09
NewbieCake

Post by menogyn09 »

Thanks so much. This is a huge help. This weekend I'll pay a trip to the local gear store to try some on. Thanks again...and anymore suggestions of boots would be fantastic!
mikep
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by mikep »

I've worn Vasque boots for 30 years and never had a problem. I currently have a pair of Vasque Wasatch boots that I wore on a 2005 and 2007 IR inland canoe trips which involved numerous portages. The same boots seen the Smokeys, Porcupine Mtns, and North Manitou Island hikes and still look practically new. There all leather with a GTX liner, very comfortable, great support. They are a step below the sundowner. Highly recommended.

Mike
DaveH
NewbieCake

Post by DaveH »

My hiking boots are Cabela's Perfekt Hiker. I've worn them on 3 Isle Royale trips and other backpacking trips with no problems, they are on the heavy side though.
trailgoat
NewbieCake

Post by trailgoat »

I use the Asolo TPS 520. Full-grain leather, fairly high-cut and....heavy. But, I wouldn't trade them for the world. They are simply the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Rarely do I get 'hot spots' and I can't remember the last time I needed moleskin. Break-in time is minimal, especially for such a sturdy boot--I hiked about 50 miles with them before I embarked on a 60 mile trip. This boot truly provides me with 'peace of mind'--I'm never too concerned about twisting an ankle or losing my footing on rocky trail. I think I paid $180 for them. They list for about $210.

But, as always, boots are a very personal thing. What fits wonderfully for me, may not work for everyone. A good-fitting boot is absolutely important. Try on as many styles and brands as you can before you make your decision. You'll know when you hit that 'sweet spot'.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I got a pair of Salomon Explorers. They are lightweight, high top and sturdy. I've used them for my 4 trips to IR and once to Philmont in New Mexico. The soles still have good traction and they dry fast when wet. I really don't have to break them in any more either. I usually apply moleskin before hiking and never get blisters anymore.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Bkrnclmbr
NewbieCake

Post by Bkrnclmbr »

I also use the Vasque Breeze gore-tex boots. They are light and breathe very well. As noted previously the break-in period is next to nothing, they are very comfortable out of the box. I have been using them for about a year now including several trips to the porkies with big loads, day hikes in hot weather and walking the dog in foul weather and found them to be very versatile. Just my two cents :D