Camera Question

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Camera Question

Post by upnorthjeeper »

I'm not Tom, but I think I can help....

If your backpack has a sternum strap get a camera bag that has a slot/loop to run a belt thru, and just run the sternum strap through that!

That setup allows me instant access to my camera while hiking. It can slow down taking the pack on and off, but if you want to be able to grab that camera before the animals run away it should be worth the extra effort.

Hope this helps :)
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
MikeW
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by MikeW »

Thanks Jeeper. The sternum strap never dawned on me. I've always just had a small camera w/ case that I would carry slung over my neck/shoulder.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

MikeW, for what it's worth, I carry my Canon G6 on my hiking trips. All I do is take the camera out of the case and hang it from my neck. That way it is always available for a quick shot should it arise. Obviously, if it is raining I don't leave it exposed like that, instead, I put it back in the case and stash it in the middle of my backpack.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Like Jeeper; I've clipped it upon the sternum strap if I felt I was going to be need it readily.
On rare occasion I keep it around the next, but that's best for level trails where it's not bouncing against me too much.
Honestly, I often have it stored in the upper pouch of the pack. While not readily accessible, (you either drop pack or have a hiking partner grab it out) it has worked fine. Perhaps because I've seen my share of moose so that I tend not to grab for the camera anymore and instead just enjoy the moment, it works out fine. The one wolf I have seen was so quick, I don't think I could have got a shot had I been walking while looking through the viewfinder.. :(
I often do find that I don't take many pictures while actually "on" the trail, hiking. For one part, it's a great excuse to drop and pack and have a break. For another, I'm typically on the trail while the sun is already fairly overhead. The amateur photog in me prefers the early morning and evening light for those great photos..

Tom
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

A handy way to carry a camera or GPS is a little pocket that first perfectly on nearly any backpack shoulder strap from Granite Gear: http://granitegear.com/products/accesso ... ocket.html

It might not fit all point & shoot cameras, but it's worth a shot as it's turbo handy.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

I mostly carry a small Canon these days. I picked it because it had a viewfinder in addition to the LCD screen. I'm concerned because it uses a special rectangular rechargable battery. I don't know if the battery will last through ten days of picture taking without a recharge.

On another note. Digital point & shoot cameras have made me dumb. I once saw some photos of Rome taken by someone on a travel discussion group. They were fantasitc! I wanted to toss all my Italy pictures in the bit bucket. I asked him what he did to get such great pictures. He replied that it wasn't that hard. He just used a camera with good resolution set in "raw" image mode and a circular polarizer. Polarizer? It all came back to me in a flood. All the the B&W photos I'd ever taken with #5 red filters to bring out the sky and landscape. The green and yellow filters. The UV filters and polarizers for color film. All of which I'd forgotten about. I went out and bought a filter adapter for my one digital camera with the capacity. Still, my days of lugging 10 or 20 lbs of camera gear into the backcountry are over. If it's more than an afternoon all I carry is a little point & shoot.

If you have a light camera you really need a small "Ultrapod" http://www.rei.com/product/777249 The weigh only about 2 oz and can hold the camera in any position and attach to just about anything.
kfinnguy
LNT Expert

Post by kfinnguy »

I've had 2 cameras, a Nikon Coolpics, and a Fujifilm A850. Although the A850 takes better pictures than the Coolpics, the Coolpics operates smoother.
"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."
— Chris McCandless
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

ScoutDad wrote:Check out Panasonic Lumix cameras.
Seconding the Panasonic Lumix cameras. Amazingly durable (I've fallen on mine while skiing) and great battery life. Oh yeah, and it takes PHENOMENAL pictures.