Camera Question

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

MikeW
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Camera Question

Post by MikeW »

Only semi-gear related but I'm sure everyone brings one with them. I need to replace my camera and am looking for something not too complicated - standard point and shoot. Most of what I'm seeing out there only has the LCD screen but no viewfinder. I have 2 concerns with this: battery drain and not being able to see the screen in bright sunlight. Some of the Canons have a viewfinder, but next to nothing in optical zoom. Should this not be a concern with todays cameras? I know there are some photo buffs out there and any help is appreciated.
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Camera Question

Post by Mandolynn »

I had been a hold-out from digital in favor of my 35 mm SLR film camera for many years, but two summers ago I fell out of a boat at Bangson Cabin and completely submerged my Minolta in Rock Harbor. I fished it out pretty quickly, but nevertheless, it's never been the same since. So last year I bought an Olympus 1030SW point-and-shoot digital camera to bring to the island. I bought this camera because it was waterproof (to several feet) and shockproof (to a point, of course.)

I also could not find a good digital point-and-shoot with a viewfinder. If digital cameras are like film cameras in this respect, it may be because with a non-SLR camera what you see through the viewfinder is not always what you get when you take the picture (ever develop a picture from a point-and-shoot camera only to find you had cut off the top of someone's head? You may have grumbled that you were sure that's not what you had framed up. Well, you may have been right.) At least that's what I understood from "Photography for Dummies" when I first bought an SLR. That was one of the main reasons I switched to SLR.

It's true that the LCD display is not fun in bright sunlight. You can buy a little plastic awning to attach to the camera that pops up and shades the display and that helps some. (I don't have one but I saw someone else using one.) Apart from the difficulty of seeing the LCD in bright light, I do like this camera a lot. It's no replacement for my 300 mm zoom lens on the film SLR, of course, but there's a lot to be said for having a camera that slips in and out of your pocket and weighs practically nothing. And you can take pretty good little movies, which I find to be quite entertaining. This camera is also supposed to be able to take pictures underwater, but I am trying to keep my cameras out of Lake Superior from now on so I haven't tried it.

It does use a proprietary battery that only lasts me about a day and a half if I use the camera frequently (as I might while hiking.) A lot of people try to get a camera that uses regular AA batteries instead if they're going to be backpacking with no access to a charger. That makes it cheaper to just buy a bunch of batteries and carry them along. There are also solar chargers for rechargeable batteries. I have never tried using a solar charger but I've seen some you can clip onto your backpack and charge one set of batteries while using a second and then switch back and forth each day.

As for the shock-proofness, one thing that you cannot do with this camera is stick it in your front pants pocket and then tumble down the rocks near Scoville Point and fall on top of it against a boulder. I won't tell you how I know this, but here's a hint: I just dropped my camera off for $125 worth of new LCD at my local camera repair shop. :wink: :wink:
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

Check out Panasonic Lumix cameras. I have one w/ a 12x optical zoom, and it has a large view screen, but also a viewfinder like a traditional SLR that's a miniature LCD screen. Takes a SD card, and has a flip up flash and a hotshoe for aux flash. It does take a rechargable battery, but spares are reasonably priced online.

Regardless of which camera you get; take a throwaway camera as a backup & take pics with it along with your digital camera...gotta have that backup! :)
Last edited by ScoutDad on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

I would second Scoutdad's Lumix recomendation. There are several models to choose from so you can find one with the features that are important to you. My Lumix has a 10x zoom and will take 150+ pictures on a single battery charge. I carry my camera in a Pelican case to keep it safe while hiking/kayaking.
rxgac
NewbieCake

Post by rxgac »

I used my daughters nikon coolpix. she used a newer olympus stylus tough 6000. nice cameras both. the olympus is waterproof to 10feet and she took it and did some pics while snorkeling in the galapagos. it also has a pretty slick panorama function. i think we both went 5 days with just 1 or two batteries.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I encourage you to explore the Canon SX10 IS. I have the predecessor (by one or two) S3 IS, and can't say enough about it. I bought it specifically for travelling/backpacking.
The reasons I selected it:
- SLR "like" point and shoot. Can be a simple point and shoot, or a little more complex.
- 20x OPTICAL zoom, then goes into digital. Image stabilized.
- Takes standard AA batteries, which I can buy on the road when travelling, or steal from other things when camping. (I only need one spare set of AAs for several devices, I can share...)
- Seems very battery friendly if not using the larger display.
- Has a standard viewfinder display, great in the daylight. (Through the lens, it's a mini LCD screen, essentially)
- The larger display folds out and then can be clicked back into the body (screen outward).. Meaning, most of the time, the screen is folded in and PROTECTED. Not a single scratch on mine.
- It comes from the highly respected Canon line of cameras. I have one of their SLRs, as well. Between Canon and Nikon, they seem to rule the realm.

I recall getting a good price on mine, since I realize it's a little on the high side for what a camera can cost. It's as close to a hybrid SLR as they come, but is much smaller and lighter.

Tom
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I third the Lumix recommendations. I have an FZ7 with 12x zoom, screen and viewfinder. I use the viewfinder all the time. It's not quite a pocket camera, but very light and smaller than an SLR. My wife uses it strictly in the point-and-shoot mode--I tend to play with settings which it allows you to do. I think the latest version is the FZ28 with 18x zoom and more pixels. It's comparable to the Canon SX10 recommended by Tom--which also gets goods reviews and probably easier to find in a store. The Lumix does use a proprietary battery, but it's good for several hundred pics and it's lighter than using AAs like the Canons. I have 2 batteries which I think will be good for my 1 week trip, but I might pick up a 3rd just for insurance.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by upnorthjeeper »

This is a copy of my reply to another post about Cameras...
I really do recommend the Panasonic high-zoom series... I've owned a FZ18 and recently upgraded to the FZ28. In good light both cameras perform great. The FZ28 was a good improvement from the FZ18, it has better white balance control, focus control, aong some other tweaks. The FZxx are all very lightweight and allow you to go from a close-up macro shot 1cm away and then zoom all the way out to 18x (~480mm+ reach) without changing lenses! Surely a dSLR should give better results, but the weight and need to change lenses makes little to no sense for the type of active shooting that I do at this point in my life.

Even though the FZ28 addressed some of the low-light issues of the FZ18 the size of the sensor on these cameras can only give us so much to work with. I decided to add a 2nd camera to my bag as a result. The Panasonic LX3 is smaller and much better in low light, but has a very limited zoom. The limited zoom is easily made up for in the wide-angle (24mm) and lowl-light abilities of the camera. The LX3 takes care of everything that doesn't require lon/g zoom, in better quality (due to its larger sensor).

That said, if I could only bring one camera it would be the FZ28 (or FZ18) due to the versatility of having the long zoom reach available. My plan for my first IR trip is to bring both cameras that will be together in a camera bag that will be attached to my sternum strap for quick and easy access.

BTW – agreed, dpreview.com is a good website to learn about photography and different gear!
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Looks like the folks at DPReview agree with us Canon and Lumix fans..

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q109superzoomgroup/
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

One more quick response on this issue. I own a Canon G6 which I'm happy with but, my dad has owned two Lumix cameras (not sure which model number) and he has really enjoyed them. I also want to say that I spent a lot of time on Dpreview doing research before buying my digital camera -- it's a great resource.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

re Batteries, I just ordered a spare for my Lumix for $11 on Amazon ($6 + $5 S/H). I buy CTA brand as spares/replacements, as I've used several different varieties and they've always been at least as good as the originals. They're cheap and readily available on-line.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

ScoutDad wrote:Check out Panasonic Lumix cameras.
Seconded (or rather, thirded and fourth-ed). I got a Panasonic Lumix camera for Christmas and it rocks. Great pictures for a point and shoot and the wide-angle lens is phenomenal. I've never had a battery life problem and that camera has seen some tough use, especially in the winter. I would highly recommend a Lumix (I have the DMC TZ4). Like you, MikeW, I was hesitant at first because I can't imagine a camera without a view finder, but in the end I got over it. Doesn't really affect the battery life very much, and if you get a decent enough camera, you can still see the LCD display in varying light conditions (like direct sunlight).
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by upnorthjeeper »

Ingo, thanks for the battery tip, I've seen using bestbatt.com which is also a good source, usually less than $10 a piece + shipping (if I order one for each of mine it is usually ~25 total).

BTW my references to Panasonic cameras is the same as Lumix, they are the manufacturer.
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

I'm another Lumix fan. Although mine doesn't have the greatest effects for macro stuff.

I always carry a spare battery--cold nights can suck it dry.
MikeW
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by MikeW »

Thanks everyone for the great responses! Lots of positive comments on the Lumix - I will definitely check those out. I guess I may just need to over myself on the viewfinder thing.

Tom - I like the Canon you mentioned, but seems like it might be a little too big. How do you carry yours while still keeping it accesible?