newbie questions about wetsuits

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Forcey
NewbieCake

newbie questions about wetsuits

Post by Forcey »

Getting ready for my trip to IR this weekend. Doing a kayak trip around the NE part of the island.
Renting all our equipment we need. The outfitter is equipping me with a wet-suit. Had a basic question: what do you wear UNDER the wetsuit? Swim trunks? I have synthetic T-shirts for the top (I assume that works), but my question is for below the belt, if you catch my drift. Also, don't have a paddling jacket; I figure my rain jacket over the PFD works?

Also, where do people just change when they get off the ferry?

Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people who ask questions.... :oops:
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: newbie questions about wetsuits

Post by johnhens »

Forcey wrote:Getting ready for my trip to IR this weekend. Doing a kayak trip around the NE part of the island.
Renting all our equipment we need. The outfitter is equipping me with a wet-suit. Had a basic question: what do you wear UNDER the wetsuit? Swim trunks? I have synthetic T-shirts for the top (I assume that works), but my question is for below the belt, if you catch my drift. Also, don't have a paddling jacket; I figure my rain jacket over the PFD works?

Also, where do people just change when they get off the ferry?

Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people who ask questions.... :oops:
There are no stupid questions only the ones that don't get asked!!!
I wear a swimsuit under my wetsuit. I wear a polyester top and depending on the weather, either a windbreaker type top or if it is windy, rainy, or rough where I am going to get wet, a raincoat UNDER my PFD is good.
You change in the bathroom near the restaraunt. There is a good launch spot there on the beach. I use bodyglide on my pit area to prevent chaffing.
Remember going around Blake Point can be challenging, use caution!!!!
Forcey
NewbieCake

Post by Forcey »

Thanks!
We do plan on being very careful around Blake Point, and have a very low threshold for using plan B, Portage from Hell (we are both youngish guys in decent shape).

Gonna hopefully camp at Merritt Lane that afternoon after getting off the Isle Queen, and 'stage' our approach to Blake's Point EARLY next morning. I just hope that Merritt Lane CG isn't full....otherwise it throw a major wrench into our plan. Wouldn't know where else to go to get within 'striking distance' of Blake Point for an early morning assualt.

Ravi
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Hey Forcey, I'll be paddling the Five Fingers area next week, so if you see a father/daughter in a green canoe make sure you say "Hi".
John I
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

I look forward to a trip report on Blake Point!
"The Island Is Calling"