Cleaning up the gear.

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Cleaning up the gear.

Post by DonNewcomb »

I just threw out a 40 year-old stuff sack. It was way past unusable. I have purchased a bunch of the new super-light silicon coated sacks. For someone who still owns and, on occasion, uses a Holubar sleeping bag, Svea 123 stove and SIGG Tourist cook-set, changing gear can be traumatic.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Cleaning up the gear.

Post by Keweenaw »

The Svea 123 is a fantastic stove, except it sounds like a jet engine.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Keweenaw wrote:The Svea 123 is a fantastic stove, except it sounds like a jet engine.
We're actually planning on bring this stove. It's all cleaned up with a new cap gasket and jet. For shorter trips we'd use an alcohol burner. In a larger party we'd bring one forced-air wood burner plus either and alcohol or LPG stove, for rainy days and quick coffee/tea breaks.

While they do smoke and blacken the pots, I like the forced air wood burners. We like to burn up the charcoal that others leave behind from campfires. They are great for melting snow. We seldom (never) camp above the tree line.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I came across an Optimus 111 at a yard sale. I bought it to play with it. Interesting stove, works great!!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

johnhens wrote:I came across an Optimus 111 at a yard sale. I bought it to play with it. Interesting stove, works great!!
Just remember "A & H Hardware". :)