FIRST AID KIT

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

rainelde
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

FIRST AID KIT

Post by rainelde »

A first aid kit is a necessity, I know from first hand experience, my son put his leatherman thru his leg working on his walking stick the first night here once. I know duct tape is a fix everything. A must have,. but what else have people found to be the must haves? As a emt I know what I may need, but I am not bringing a trauma kit and defib along. Any tips? Thanks :lol:
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: FIRST AID KIT

Post by johnhens »

As a former EMT, I feel your pain!! :) Sorry I couldn't resist.
It depends on whether I am paddling or hiking. I always bring some sort of Ace type bandage that will work not only for sprains ect. but makes a good compression bandage. An assortment of band aids, including the larger size and some cartoon type bandaids for Nick :lol: . Some 4x4's and tape. I now bring a Polysporin type wound treatment as some folks are allergic to Neomyocin. Benadryl for allergic reactions, Vitamin "I", Steristrips or the like, a small bottle of Betadine and usually Benzaclonium wipes. Latex type gloves for my protection if I am helping soemone else and a CPR mask type protector. A small tube of eye wash. Immodium.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

My personal kit also includes:
Pepto Bismol tabs
Ibuprofen
hydrocodone (Rx)
Phenergan (Rx)
Loratadine
Colace
large triangular bandage
tape
CPR face shield
Tullamore Dew (for medicinal purposes only :wink: )
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

I would add stuff for blisters etc. Something like Second Skin and Mole Skin. Also a good pair of Tweezers. I think the people at Adventure Medical Kits do a great job of putting everything together, but they are on the pricey side.
rainelde
NewbieCake

Post by rainelde »

Thanks guys, we will make it a no bandage necessary week this time, he already got 3 stitches yesterday in arm..geesh!!!!!!! (but I will bring them).
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Here is my basic list. Believe it or not, it all fits into a small stuff sack.

#18 Needle
3 cc Syringe
Adhesive Tape
Alcohol Preps
Anti-Biotic Ointment
Athlete’s Foot/Jock Itch
Back-up Glasses
Battle Dressing
Biaxin Anti-Biotic
Calydryl
Chap stick
Cold Medicine
Flageyl-Giardia
Gauze Pads
Hemostat
Ibuprofen
Imodium
Iodine
Iodine Prep Pads
Matches
Mole Skin
Nausea Patch
Rip Stop Nylon
Scissors
SteriStrips
Stretchy Band Aids
Tums
Vicodin
Add a small vial of xylocaine and one of those metal suture clips if you feel comfortable with doing that.

I also have a small repair kit for tent poles, rip stop nylon, etc. and a small roll of duct tape.

You might want to have one or two of the old American Red Cross triangular bandages. They are very versatile: make them into cravats for gagging JohnH or open them up when JohnH needs his diaper changed! :oops: (BTW JohnH, comment on this and I have to tell why you might need substitute shorts!)
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

What is the 3 cc syringe for? Do you carry injectables?

What is a "nausia patch"? I'm not familiar with them. I carry a couple Phenergan in my first aid kit but it makes me so loopy I can't walk after taking one and if one were throwing up he/she might not be able to keep the Phenergan tablet down.
Nick
Bushwacker

Post by Nick »

Syringe goes along with the xylocaine for suture materials. The need also works well for removing those pesky slivers.

Nausea patch is the TransDerm for crossing over in rough weather. I've never used one, though. I picked one up one time, but have never had a problem with seasickness.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Nick wrote:Nausea patch is the TransDerm for crossing over in rough weather. I've never used one, though. I picked one up one time, but have never had a problem with seasickness.
I thought it might be for someone who was sick on the trail. To be able to get him down to the ranger station for evacuation. For a 6-hour ferry boat ride I would never use a patch. They are for people who will be in rough conditions for days at a time. They are also very slow acting. Just get a few meclizine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meclizine and take one a few hours before you board the ferry.
rainelde
NewbieCake

Post by rainelde »

Ok lesson learned, didnt bring enough mole skin. One must bring enough mole skin, to share and for yourself. There is always someone who needs something. Glad to share if I have it, but I didnt bring enough :cry: First time ever, had to use it myself.
Nick
Bushwacker

Post by Nick »

I've never been that happy with mole skin. My feet tend to sweat, and I've found the mole skin does not adhere, ends up bunching up inside my sock, and causes more problems. For me, a good waterproof adhesive tape or duct tape works best.