waterproof boots

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

kanonen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

waterproof boots

Post by kanonen »

So we got back from IR about a week ago and we faced torrential rain on the last part of the minong. Our gore-tex boots didn't work as predicted even though they are fairly brand new. Any idea whether it is ever possible to have breathable hiking boots yet waterproof or is that too much asking?
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Re: waterproof boots

Post by DonNewcomb »

The problem is that your feet are making water. If the outside of the boot is saturated nothing is going to get the moisture from your feet to go out. Goretex works to a degree when it is dry to allow your skin to breathe. So, Goretex allows your feet to breathe when the boot is dry but when it is wet it's like any other waterproof fabric.

At the bottom of this page http://www.warmlite.com/ponchos.htm there are some pointed remarks on Goretex by the makers of Stephenson Warmlite tents.
kanonen
NewbieCake

Post by kanonen »

Don,
I am pretty sure the boots had water from outside leaking in, not moisture. I know there are 3 possibilities to get feet damp:

-moisture (gore-tex is working)
-leakage from outside through the socks (gore-tex working)
-leakage from outside strait to the boot (gore-tex not working)

I am almost sure we fall in the 3 category. Again, I will put my boots in water and test them again.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

I have had no luck with Goretex boots. The way they work is that there is actually a sock-type goretex liner and unfortunately, goretex does not stretch the way leather does so my feet end up cramped when they swell and the goretex liner eventually splits.

Getting a wider boot is no good because then my feet move around too much in the boot and I get blisters. I figure I'll go back to the old method of leather boots and Mink Oil.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

kanonen wrote: I am almost sure we fall in the 3 category. Again, I will put my boots in water and test them again.
Yeah, my new Keen boots are supposed to be waterproof. They don't look waterproof. The only place I've used them is Brice Canyon, Utah where there was no water to test them in. I have the leather saturated in a wax waterproofing and have sprayed the cloth with Camp Dry. I've walked a few miles in them since this coating. It may be about time for me to fill the tub and check for those "Cat 3" leaks. I plan to bring my old trusty GoreTex socks. They kept my feet dry and warm after my old Vasques developed a hole in the toe while hiking in snow and slush.
kanonen
NewbieCake

Post by kanonen »

ok, gore-tex socks and leather boots soaked in mink oil...ok, didn't hear about these 2 options before...
Gore-tex offers a refund on their products if it leaks. I will contact them and see what kinda warranty they have or whey they leaked!

Where do u find mink oil anyway?
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Mink Oil is sold a lot of places where shoe polish is sold. Check out google under "shopping" for online sources.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

You have mink oil (which comes as a paste) and wax-based products like Sno-Seal and Wet-Pruf. Not sure if one is better or worse than the other.
jeastbur
NewbieCake

Post by jeastbur »

I got a tube of sno-seal at campmor.com for my leather Asolo boots. Sno-seal claims that it doesn't break down as quickly as mink oil, but I haven't used mink oil before to see how effective/long-lasting it is.

I'm also trying new SuperFeet inserts to replace my original footbeds. They definitely provide more arch support. I'll see how I feel after a few days on the trail.

Leaving in 4 days!

Josh
vitz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by vitz »

I have a pair of REI Spirit III hiking boots. They do have Gore-tex, and they work great. However if it is raining I found that my wicking socks wick water into the boot (an unexpected amount). So I try to tuck my socks in (so that they are not exposed) or wear a gaiter to keep the bottom cuffs of my paints dry.

Jeastbur I also use the SuperFeet, they are great footbeds.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

DonNewcomb wrote:
kanonen wrote: I am almost sure we fall in the 3 category. Again, I will put my boots in water and test them again.
Yeah, my new Keen boots are supposed to be waterproof. They don't look waterproof. The only place I've used them is Brice Canyon, Utah where there was no water to test them in. I have the leather saturated in a wax waterproofing and have sprayed the cloth with Camp Dry. I've walked a few miles in them since this coating. It may be about time for me to fill the tub and check for those "Cat 3" leaks. I plan to bring my old trusty GoreTex socks. They kept my feet dry and warm after my old Vasques developed a hole in the toe while hiking in snow and slush.
I ended up buying Keen Targhee II. I have been hiking through wet snow the past few weeks (really need a pair of snow shoes) and they have kept my feet nice and dry. Wearing a good wicking sock with it also.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/fw0 ... er%20brown

You can by some Seal Skin sox but you run into the same problem with sweat in that it has to go somewhere. Other then wearing garters to keep water from seeping into your boot I am not sure there is much else you can do.