No Soap?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

No Soap?

Post by ScoutDad »

During my August 11 trip, at LNT orientation the Ranger asked the group if anyone had camp soap. When several of us said we did, she said it couldn't be used; to only use plain water to wipe out cooking utensils, etc. We only used water on our trip for cleaning per Ranger instructions.

Today I checked the 2009 copy of the Greenstone NPS paper/newsletter which said bio-soap could be used sparingly. Anyone else hear the nix on camp soap at the LNT talk this year?
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: No Soap?

Post by Ingo »

At our orientation the ranger simply said not to use soap in or near the lakes and streams.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jeastbur
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by jeastbur »

At our LNT orientation on Aug 26, the ranger told us the same thing--no soap of any kind, including bio-soap and camp suds.
We didn't use any, as requested, although it was pretty easy for me since I did freezer bag cooking for this trip.

Josh
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

I don't use soap for dishwashing on IR, but mainly because I'm lazy and don't want to carry it :wink:

I DO NOT practice hardcore LNT, which says you should rinse your bowl/pot with a little water and drink the scraps rather than tossing them in the weeds.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Like said in the LNT briefs, you shouldn't use soap near water sources. I use Sea to Summit soap flakes, which are super lightweight and easy to pack.