Backpacking Hammocks

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

KeyMeKoe
NewbieCake

Re: Backpacking Hammocks

Post by KeyMeKoe »

P.S. I did not set up the hammock in any shelters and I had no trouble finding trees.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I only took a tent on my first couple of trips to IR. After that, I always brought a hammock, foam pad and tarp whether trail hiking or going cross-country. When I was in a shelter, I always slept on the floor but otherwise used the hammock. Just once, I had difficulty finding a site where I could reasonably hang the hammock and tarp.

Nick, I wish I had read your post years ago. Once, I tried the hammock in a shelter using some very sturdy nails others had driven into the beams. I tested it, too, but without a soft landing pad. First I sat cross ways in it (hammock extending left and right away from me). Seemed good, nothing seemed to be giving. Then, before commiting to spending the night in it, I gave a little bounce.

Boom! X-rays later showed I had cracked my tailbone, just from an 8 or 10 inch fall. Sitting with my knees bent, I must have had my tailbone aimed right at the floor. It bothered me for years and I can still occasionally feel a twinge if I stand just right (or wrong).

Just be careful.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Here's a tip: find a sailboat dealer (or West Marine) that can make rigging. Ask them to make you two 1' long lengths of stainless steel rigging wire with a 1" loop crimped onto each end. Then pick up two inexpensive climbing caribiners.

You can loop the rigging wire around just about anything, then use the caribiner to connect your hammock (or whatever else) to the crimped loops in each end.

I've also used wired climbing nuts for similar purposes, but I find the wire loops to be more versatile.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Tampico wrote:Ask them to make you two 1' long lengths of stainless steel rigging wire with a 1" loop crimped onto each end.
Obviously, you don't want to use this rig on a living tree.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

DonNewcomb wrote:
Tampico wrote:Ask them to make you two 1' long lengths of stainless steel rigging wire with a 1" loop crimped onto each end.
Obviously, you don't want to use this rig on a living tree.
This is a good point Don, and in most cases no. You might also argue that this would damage the lumber inside a shelter.

For trees with very thin green bark, like Aspens or Alder, or young trees in general I wouldn't use these. I wouldn't be so concerned about a mature White or Bur Oak or an Ironwood tree.

I guess it would also depend on how much you move around in your hammock. This is a poor solution for a swing...

If you really wanted, you could enclose the the cable in plastic tubing (also available at rigging dealers) prior to crimping one of the ends. I think I will make a set of these up this weekend.
Mr Blister
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Mr Blister »

Thanks for the advice. We are doing a mid June hike and I was thinking about bringing my Hennesy. I think I am going to decide against it for the reasons already stated here. I will say that I do like mine an awful lot. We have hiked the entire Superior Hiking Trail and I used mine a few times and in Colorado (below treeline) so I think they might be great for many occasions but maybe not on IR. They are great for warm conditions or places where the ground is wet. They are comfy as heck, but they can be a bit clostrophobic and there is no place for gear except under it. Or if your brother is kind enough he'll throw your gear in with him (thanks Brian). The other drawback is cool nights where the wind cools you more than you'd like. But they are comy for sure. I think I'll go with the solo tent for this trip. Thanks folks.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I'm not a hammock guy, but my hiking partner last year found plenty of trees that weren't harmed by him and his hammock. He spent a night in a shelter at McCargoe and was not happy. We were at Todd Harbor the next evening (me in the shelter and he used his hammock about 10-15 feet down from me in some trees). He used his hammock until we left ISRO. Don't rule out using something that works for you.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

I forgot to report back on this thread about my hammocking at IR. My wife and I have now been using our ENO DoubleNest hammocks and bug nets for about 4 hiking trips and love them. Unless we were going someplace that does not have trees I don't think we would ever go back to tent camping and sleeping on the ground.

For our IR trip, it was a bit hard at times to find good trees to hang from and sometimes we could not hang our hammocks next to one another. I have the Pro Straps from ENO which are rather long and at times I used the whole length to get between two good trees. Other times I had a bit too much sag in my hammock because I had to choose trees that were too close together. But then we spent a night in a shelter and decided to never do that again as sleeping on the ground was very uncomfortable compared to the hammock.

Another think my wife did not like was the lack of privacy due to just being in a hammock with a tarp over you when she needed to sponge bath or change. I need to buy some good tarps for ours anyway and am thinking about one of these 4 season tarps...

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com ... _tarps.php

...figured that would keep all the rain off and provide privacy when needed by adding some ties to the end.
Toy Yoda
NewbieCake

Post by Toy Yoda »

Between the last two seasons, I hiked about a 150 miles on the Island and spent 15 or 16 nights camping there. I use a Henessey Ultralight Backpacker Hammock. I either used shelters--or the hammock--every night. One night (I believe at West Chickenbone), I had to pitch my hammock on the ground like a tent--because no suitable trees were located anywhere near my particular tent site and there were no shelters. (The campground was pretty full, rain was about to roll in and I had a choice of just two campsites--neither one was suitable for a hammock. Other tent sites at West Chickenbone would have been great for the hammock--but they were already taken).

I use a sleeping pad (instead of an underquilt)--because the pad is more versatile and can be used in the hanging hammock, on the wood floor of a shelter or when I pitch the hammock like a small tent or "bivy". I carry a Tyvek ground cloth to place under my sleeping pad in shelters or under the hammock itself (if I need to pitch it like a tent). I also carry two specialized little "tent poles" (about 2 feet tall) that I made myself. Thus, I can set up that hammock just about anywhere--either in the trees or on the ground.
Mr Blister
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Mr Blister »

Toy Yoda wrote:Between the last two seasons, I hiked about a 150 miles on the Island and spent 15 or 16 nights camping there. I use a Henessey Ultralight Backpacker Hammock. I either used shelters--or the hammock--every night. One night (I believe at West Chickenbone), I had to pitch my hammock on the ground like a tent--because no suitable trees were located anywhere near my particular tent site and there were no shelters. (The campground was pretty full, rain was about to roll in and I had a choice of just two campsites--neither one was suitable for a hammock. Other tent sites at West Chickenbone would have been great for the hammock--but they were already taken).

I use a sleeping pad (instead of an underquilt)--because the pad is more versatile and can be used in the hanging hammock, on the wood floor of a shelter or when I pitch the hammock like a small tent or "bivy". I carry a Tyvek ground cloth to place under my sleeping pad in shelters or under the hammock itself (if I need to pitch it like a tent). I also carry two specialized little "tent poles" (about 2 feet tall) that I made myself. Thus, I can set up that hammock just about anywhere--either in the trees or on the ground.

I love my Hennessey and have used it alot when we thru hiked the Superior Trail. In bad weather I used to get a little water at the ends so I started carrying a nylon tarp to expand my coverage area but it adds to my weight but it was great to cook and sit under when we were in the back country in Colorado in the rain. Have you had this problem? I mean it's only been an issue once and that was with wind drive rain. And it wasn't alot of water, not enough to soak anything, just a few drops but I'm really picky about it. Do you have the Hexagon fly? I am thinking of upgrading but with the high price I am trying to decide. I think for this trip to IR I'll leave it at home. Last year I got a hyperlite thermarest to use in cooler weather and I love it.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Toy Yoda wrote:I use a sleeping pad (instead of an underquilt)--because the pad is more versatile and can be used in the hanging hammock, on the wood floor of a shelter or when I pitch the hammock like a small tent or "bivy". I carry a Tyvek ground cloth to place under my sleeping pad in shelters or under the hammock itself (if I need to pitch it like a tent). I also carry two specialized little "tent poles" (about 2 feet tall) that I made myself. Thus, I can set up that hammock just about anywhere--either in the trees or on the ground.
I have a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core for my bag and most guys would consider that luxury on top of sleeping in a hammock (in the hammock, it is used for insulation and not comfort) so I had that to sleep on in the shelter. Still woke up stiff.

I also have plans setup incase I have to create a shelter and sleep on the ground. My wife and I both use hiking poles and I have tested setting up the hammock and tarps with those. Need to get a light ground cloth though, Tyvek is a good idea.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Mr Blister wrote: I love my Hennessey and have used it alot when we thru hiked the Superior Trail. In bad weather I used to get a little water at the ends so I started carrying a nylon tarp to expand my coverage area but it adds to my weight but it was great to cook and sit under when we were in the back country in Colorado in the rain. Have you had this problem? I mean it's only been an issue once and that was with wind drive rain. And it wasn't alot of water, not enough to soak anything, just a few drops but I'm really picky about it. Do you have the Hexagon fly? I am thinking of upgrading but with the high price I am trying to decide. I think for this trip to IR I'll leave it at home. Last year I got a hyperlite thermarest to use in cooler weather and I love it.
I have been pricing tarps and sometimes there are some deals but you end up with something that sorta works instead of what you need. I figure unless I abuse them, the tarps I buy should last a while, esp since they will be pitched out of the sunlight and I don't do much camping with fires anymore and when I do I put my hammock far away. I think this Kelty Noah's 12 tarp could work and it would be about the price I am looking for. Its square but the link below shows a guy with it in a 4 season configuration.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/sh ... euser=9928

I also keep my tarp on top of my other gear so that if it is raining when I get to camp, its the first thing I pull out and after setting it up I can be under it to setup the rest of my hammock and stuff. Also nice for lunch that way.