general conditions--July 2017

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Topic author
JerryB
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 7

general conditions--July 2017

Post by JerryB » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 am

Just off the Feldtman Loop and thought I would share some current information.

Deadfall is not a problem at all. Trail crews must have been hard at work. Overgrown brush, on the other hand, chokes about half of this trail; some of it quite bad. I think only someone with no trail experience would lose the trail, but tripping and twisting ankles is a real risk because a hiker cannot see where he or she is putting a foot. Also, this means that anyone should plan on a good soaking if hiking after a rain or in the morning dew.

I noticed quite a lot of beaver activity. So far, on this trail, it has had a limited impact, but I suspect that will change.

Finally, I noticed several groups wading through a creek outflow just short of Senter Point near Siskiwit. No need to do this; there is a fully functional bridge just a bit inland.

hooky
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: general conditions--July 2017

Post by hooky » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:43 pm

JerryB wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 am
Finally, I noticed several groups wading through a creek outflow just short of Senter Point near Siskiwit. No need to do this; there is a fully functional bridge just a bit inland.
But what's the fun in using a bridge? :D

Thanks for the update. Was the overgrowth particularly bad at any specific point or between any specific campgrounds?

Topic author
JerryB
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by JerryB » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:49 pm

the overgrowth was particularly bad between Feldtman and Siskiwit, but there are bad spots almost everywhere (much less so on the Greenstone).

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Ingo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:22 pm

JerryB wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:49 pm
the overgrowth was particularly bad between Feldtman and Siskiwit, but there are bad spots almost everywhere (much less so on the Greenstone).
Yeah, when I did it a month ago I was thinking "this could be really annoying in a few weeks".

Paddington
NewbieCake

Post by Paddington » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:31 pm

Hello,

Can anyone share an update on the trail conditions for Feldtman Loop? We're headed to Isle Royale in about two weeks for a 1-week backpack trip and we'll be going in and out of Windigo. A hike to Feldtman Lake and then on to Siskiwit looked like a good way to kick off the trip, but we're wary of the bushwhacking and extended stretches of wading that may require given the July post.

Thanks!

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Hopefully you will get a response from someone recently on those trails but I think you are somewhat mis-interpreting the previous reports. The "wading" observation was of a group that appeared to not know (or maybe not care) that a foot bridge exists over the Siskiwit River. The bushwacking concerns stem from reports of brush that has over grown the trail in spots. If much of it is still in place, I doubt very much it poses similar obstacles as you would most likely experience in a true off trail bushwacking experience on the Island. The worst that will happen is on wet days or mornings with a lot of dew, you could get substantially wet. Good rain gear including pants and jacket for heavy stuff or gaitors for lighter areas will help considerably. It might also hide the trail in particularly heavy areas.

Continued growth might have made things get a little worse but heavier user tends to beat back the overgrowth. If I have the correct clothing I would not let it stop me. But you don't want to get caught in a cold snap with all your clothing wet either. Spare, dry clothes and rain gear is the way to go. You can always ask the Ranger when you arrive and adjust your plans then. Instead of making the entire loop you can include the Hugginnen Loop and go places then backtrack. The views and observations walking the opposite direction "coming back" are always different than when you "went".
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013

Paddington
NewbieCake

Post by Paddington » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks, Midwest Ed, for the reply and clarification. We'll be equipped for wet conditions (gaiters, rain jackets & pants, and the like). Put in a call for clear skies and moderate temps but you know how sometimes those requests can't be met. ;) We're also planning to ask the rangers when we arrive for any update. I'm not sure how often they might have been out on the trails (or a particular trail) themselves, but imagine they get reports from hikers regularly.

Thanks again!