Feedback for Hiking Route June 15-21

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

nihilixir
NewbieCake

Feedback for Hiking Route June 15-21

Post by nihilixir »

Hi all,

As this is my first post, I'd like to start out by thanking you all for the wealth of information on here! This forum has been a great resource for planning my trip to Isle Royale.

I'd like to get some feedback on my potential hiking route for my trip this summer.

About my group: we are three guys in our late twenties, all in pretty good health. I know we are capable of racking up the miles when needed. Last summer on N. Mantiou Island we logged ~19 miles on our first day there (full packs!), although I know the terrain on IR will be more difficult. This will be the first trip to IR for all three of us.

We're travelling by seaplane and doing an end-to-end hike (Windigo-->RH). I've got two potential routes in mind. One with a zero-day at Moskey Basin, and one that forgoes the zero-day so that we can squeeze in one more campground.

ROUTE 1 - Zero Day
6/15 - Windigo to N. Lake Desor (12.9mi) Seaplane is scheduled for 8:00am, so we should have plenty of time.
6/16 - N. Lake Desor to Todd Harbor (11.2mi)
6/17 - Todd Harbor to McCargoe (6.6mi) Was thinking we could get to McC, find a site and ditch our packs, then double back to check out Minong Mine.
6/18 - McCargoe to Moskey (8.6mi)
6/19 - Zero day at Moskey (0mi)
6/20 - Moskey to 3 Mile via Mt Ojibway & Mt Franklin (10.6mi)
6/21 - 3 Mile to Rock Harbor via RH trail (2.9mi) Seaplane departs 11:00am, so we'd set alarms to wake up on time. Alternatively, if we've got the energy on 6/20 we could push on past 3M to RH.

ROUTE 2 - No Zero Day
6/15 - Windigo to N. Lake Desor (12.9mi)
6/16 - N. Lake Desor to Todd Harbor (11.2mi)
6/17 - Todd Harbor to McCargoe (6.6mi)
6/18 - McCargoe to Moskey (8.6mi)
6/19 - Moskey to Lane Cove (10.8mi)
6/20 - Lane Cove to Rock Harbor via RH trail (7.4mi)
6/21 - Seaplane departs 11:00am

I'm pretty sure both routes are feasible, but any feedback is welcome. Obviously things may shake out differently from the plan once we're actually there.

On the way in to Rock Harbor I chose the RH trail over the Tobin Harbor trail as it's supposed to be more scenic, but feel free to convince me otherwise. Maybe the zero day would be better spent at McCargoe, doing a short day trip to Minong Mine? If there are any must-see landmarks along the route, please let me know. I remember reading something about a waterfall near the Todd Harbor campground (or was that Little Todd?...)

I also have one tiny question for anyone who has used the seaplane before. I know I won't be able to bring my stove fuel on the plane, but how about a Bic lighter in my pack? Is that prohibited too?

Thanks in advance! If by chance you'll be on the Isle the same time as me, let me know!
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Feedback for Hiking Route June 15-21

Post by Base654 »

Welcome to the Forum.

I'll start by saying that with your experience, you won't have any problem with either route. I did the Desor to Todd section a few years ago without any difficulty and I am closing in on 50 with a dad body. Both of your routes have some back and forth across the island, so you could make a down, or nearly down day if needed. (i.e. cut out Todd then go to Chickenbone the next day.) Although, a planned down day is easier to move around in one's brain.

Are you planning to come back to the island? If so, you could consider shorter miles in trade for a slower pace that allows you to see more than where your next footstep is going to fall. You could see the other parts of the Island on other trips. You will be spending a fair amount of time and money just to get to the island. Do you really want to crank out miles? Of course, I'm not criticizing, it's your trip do it the way you want.

You should have a plan in the back of your mind for plane delays. Your flight is planned for 8:00, but what if it is delayed until 11:00 or 12:00 or the next day? Fog comes and goes early in the morning, but on the mainland and the island and can delay flights. The return trip can be delayed too, but that's nicer... extra time/day on the island. Check in at the hotel or the ranger station, they get updates.

I like the Rock harbor trail, other like Tobin harbor. That is generally personal choice. If there is a cold wind from the south or east, Tobin is far more comfortable. big storms from the south makes a couple of the sections of Rock harbor trail a bit nasty. Moskey and McCargoe are two of may favortive sites, but Moskey is better if you can snag a shelter.

Lighters are ok. just no fuel. (think leaks)

Have fun.
nihilixir
NewbieCake

Post by nihilixir »

Thanks for replying, Base654.

I'm not catching your drift when you say "cut out Todd then go to Chickenbone the next day". Could you clarify?

I picked the 8am flight so that a minor delay won't stop us from getting to our first campsite. I figure if we can head out from Windigo by noon or 1, we're in good shape to make it to North Lake Desor.

In the event our flight is delayed by a whole day, we'd have to haul ass across the island to make it to RH by 6/21 (maybe NLD-TH-CBE-DF-RH). That, or see if the seaplane folks can switch our pickup point to Windigo and do the Feldtmann loop instead. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your thoughts on RH vs Tobin Harbor trails. I think I'll play that one by ear based on the weather conditions.

I realize my plan leans more toward mileage than relaxation. I originally suggested a nice little loop of the eastern side of the island, but my companions are really interested in going end-to-end. If/when I come back, I'd likely opt for a more leisurely route.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

nihilixir wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 am If/when I come back, I'd likely opt for a more leisurely route.
Don’t worry. You’ll be back. The island has a way of calling folks back year after year.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

both routes look great! And (supposing your connections work out) you won't have to commit to one or the other until you wake up on June 19th in Moskey, and face the decision of whether to pack up and leave or not!

If the seaplane is delayed a whole day, you could follow route 1 but omit the zero day. If you do this and arrive at Moskey realizing you could really *use* a break, shortening the remaining mileage by taking a more direct route to RH is an option---albeit one that skips some of the more dramatic sections of the Greenstone. Of course, *that* could be your excuse for coming back!
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

skip that part. I got my north and south (Desor) mixed up again... I'm surprised I have never just walked in to the water and kept going...
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

You have good plan. The best plans have built-in flexibility, so you can make changes as our go. That is one reason I try to fit in a layover day. If tired or bad weather or I just want to be lazy,options abound. Look at a map and come up with contingency plans.

The Feldtman Loop is a nice option to, by the way.
nihilixir
NewbieCake

Post by nihilixir »

Great advice all around, thank you all! =)