Advice sought for planning trip to eastern end of the island

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MeganP
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Advice sought for planning trip to eastern end of the island

Post by MeganP »

Hello,

I've been to Isle Royale three times now and have pretty much covered the Windigo end of the island. Next time I'm aiming for the Rock Harbor end.

Other than getting off the Voyageur in Rock Harbor for my first trip to the island and booking it to Daisy Farm and then onto the Greenstone, I haven't camped/hiked on that end.

I plan to take the Voyageur to IR on a Wednesday and return on a Sunday sometime in 2010 (not sure if I'll go in May or August). So that's four nights to work with. I hear lots of you on this forum talk about the awesomeness of places like Lane Cove, Lake Ritchie, etc., but I don't know where to start with putting together a trip on that end.

Any suggested itineraries floating in any of your heads?

Many thanks,

Megan
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Advice sought for planning trip to eastern end of the island

Post by Tom »

I'll give you three nights of awesomeness, based on last year's trip:
Sail into McCargoe Cove. Night one there. Day hike up the Minong to the mines, and/or over to East Chickenbone as a leg stretcher.
Day two, hike over to Moskey. Up and over the ridge.
Day three, hike down to Chippewa. Have the VoyII pick you up there.

Three amazing camps, more "the center" than East, though..
You can always add in a Chickenbone W or Richie stop inbetween, if you want that extra day, or spend two days at any of the camps listed. I would in a heartbeat.

Good luck in the planning! BTW, August is going to be fairly busy on the Rock Harbor side, statistically speaking.. You might find places like Three Mile and Daisy Farm full.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I will "second" the suggestion made by Tom. McCargo Cove is nice and the mine areas around Minong Mine are fun to explore. Although I have never stayed at Moskey Basin, as I posted in one of the other threads, I've seen pictures and heard that it is spectacular. I've also stayed at Chippewa Harbor and that place has it's own look and feel as well. The shelters are just a short jog up from the dock. Take your fishing pole because my buddy caught some fish right from the dock when we were there a couple years ago. When we were on our way into Chippewa Harbor we passed some people coming out from there. They told us they had heard some wolves howling their last night there and, although we didn't hear any wolves, we did see some tracks in the mud. If you explore the area behind the shelters past the tent sites you will find the "old schoolhouse" as many have described it over the years. I also discovered some old tools in the grasses down by the water. You may also want to take the small trail out behind the shelters and wind your way up the hill. Once you get to the top you'll be rewarded with great views of Lake Superior and Chippewa Harbor. I don't think you'll be disappointed by this route.
kfinnguy
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by kfinnguy »

That sounds like a good itinerary, I think I'll do that.
"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."
— Chris McCandless
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Tom's idea is full of awesomeness. I've found McCargo full a couple times when the Voyageur dropped me off. Be prepared for the possibility of walking on to Chickenbone Lake, which isn't very far and is a lovely spot too. And Chippewa is a great place to spend a day and night and get picked up by the Voyageur, like he said. It's a nice trip because you're not doing heavy mileage either.