First Visit/Possible Itinerary

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Engruls
NewbieCake

First Visit/Possible Itinerary

Post by Engruls »

Hello,
I just reserved ferry tickets today from Copper Harbor. My fiance and I will be spending June 26th-July 2nd on the island.
I have never been to Isle Royale before ... my Fiance has but it's been seven years since he's been there so he doesn't have a clear memory of the island.

Itinerary:
June 26 - Rock Harbor to Three Mile
June 27 - Three Mile to Daisy Farm
June 28 - Daisy Farm to Lake Richie
June 29 - Lake Richie to McCargoe Cove
June 30 - McCargoe Cove to Daisy Farm
July 1 - Daisy Farm to Three Mile
July 2 - Three Mile to Rock Harbor

June 29th seems like it will be rough but I'm just wondering if this route is doable.
We are both in our early 20's and have done backpacking before and are fit for the most part.
If I could get some opinions on this itinerary that would be great! :D
Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Re: First Visit/Possible Itinerary

Post by Chorizo »

Your June 30th is probably more difficult than the day before. However if you are in good physical shape and your boots are well broken in you will be fine. The better your conditioning, the more broken in your boots are, and certainly the lighter your pack is, the easier any route will become. This should be very doable unless all of the above are significantly lacking. You'll have a great time.
Engruls
NewbieCake

Post by Engruls »

Thanks for the input. : D
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

Looks good to me, too, except the end. I think you'll feel you can end your trip with a one day hike from Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor. You'll have been hiking for 6-7 days, so if you weren't completely fit when you started, you will be by then. Most of your fuel and food will be gone so the packs will feel almost weightless. I'd add a 4 or 5 mile excursion in the middle of your trip and skip the night at Three Mile on your way back.

Don't miss Mt. Franklin on the Greenstone Ridge. Either on your way from Three Mile to Daisy Farm, or on your way back, go by way of the Greenstone to see the beautiful views from there.