Rock Harbor to Lane Cove

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Jstrick5
NewbieCake

Rock Harbor to Lane Cove

Post by Jstrick5 »

I'm considering a first day hike to Lane Cove from Rock Harbor. Have a couple questions/concerns that I wanted to inquire about with those who have made that hike before.

1) I've got both John DuFresne's "Isle Royale Foot Trails and Water Routes" book and the NatGeo Trails Illustrated map. Trails Illustrated pegs that hike at 6.4 miles while DuFresne lists it at 5.9 miles (p. 117). Anyone have comments on the discrepency? I'm assuming Trails Illustrated is accurate, just suprised that Foot Trails and Water Routes, which from what I gather is the most popular book on the park, is innacurate. Should I expect the mileage in the book to be off?

2) What should we expect from this hike as far as difficulty and maybe a time estimate for two fairly in shape young guys with 30lb packs?

My concern is that we're arriving on Ranger III @ 3pm and by the time we get our gear together, drop off a bag for storage at the lodge, and set out (3:30-4pm?) It will be a decent hike for the tail end of the day. Pushing ourselves to make Lane the first night might not be a great idea if we get there in the dark and don't have time to fully appreciate it before breaking camp early the next day.

Any thoughts?
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Rock Harbor to Lane Cove

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi Jstrick,

I guess one discrepancy could be where the starting point is in Rock Harbor and where the ending point is at Lane Cove (there are several campsites there).

2 fairly in shape young guys should easily make 2 miles/hour including stops I would think, so 3 to 3 1/2 hours should do it, max. Leaving RH at 4 that would put you at Lane Cove by 7 or so and right now it is light until about 9, plus Lane Cove is on the West side of the ridge.

The hike is not killer; take the Tobin Harbor Trail to the junction and then head up to the Greenstone. The slope is not bad on the climb - it is more severe on the back side of the ridge. Once down the other side of the Greenstone you will go up and over a couple of smaller elevations getting to the campground. The last couple of miles seem long for some reason.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
skibike69
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by skibike69 »

I did this 2 weeks ago on my first visit to the island with a 40 lb pack and had no problem.

I think the mileage from RH is right around 7. The climbs are not all that bad.

We arrived on the Queen and were on the trail before 12:30 and made it to Lane Cove around 4:00 (I think).

Great place to spend your 1st night in my opinion.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

A couple of 'slightly older' guys in decent shape, with probably 40lb packs, we hiked it in 3.5 total hours this spring. We departed Rock Harbor at 3:20 after the Voyageur II dropped us off, and made camp by 6:50. It was the first boat, and so light was falling fast (Mid-May), but we had time to set up camp and explore a little bit before nightfall. Our hiking time "on trail" was 2:55.
Bob's right, the last couple miles seem long, but I think that's partially because you can make awesome time on the Tobin Harbor trail, that it throws you off in what you think your pace should be..
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

As Tom noted, start out on the Tobin Harbor trail out of Rock Harbor. You don't have time for the slower Rock Harbor trail. It shouldn't take you much more than 3 hours. The most strenuous part is the hike back up from Lane Cove. I went there on my first trip to Isle Royale and spent a couple of nights. My most memorable sight was a naked woman standing in the water at the first campsite I passed upon arrival. :shock: The best I'd hoped for was to see a moose! I also bushwhacked a short distance over to Stockly Bay where the water was a lot warmer for swimming.
Jstrick5
NewbieCake

Post by Jstrick5 »

Thanks for the advice!

Keweenaw (or anyone else with knowledge) Are you sure sunset is still around 9?? I'm in Cleveland and it's pitch black at 9pm here. I thought there further North you are the earlier the sunsets. Either way if we estimate we hop on the trail at 3:30 or so and get there in three hours we should still have light at 6:30.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

During the Summer side of the calendar, further North means more daylight. In Winter months further North means less daylight. The Island has the other "advantage" of being in the Eastern time zone yet quite west (far west of Cleveland). Technically, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan should be in the Central Time Zone.

~Ed

Here's a handy link I got from someone else here.
http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/isle- ... higan.html
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Jstrick5
NewbieCake

Post by Jstrick5 »

Ed, you rock man thanks for clearing that up for me. That website is great - just bookmarked it!
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR

Post by Keweenaw »

Last night in Calumet it was getting pretty dark at 9:10.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Keweenaw wrote:Last night in Calumet it was getting pretty dark at 9:10.

Bob
According to the GAISMA website chart for Isle Royale last night:
Sunset was at 8:48
Dusk was at 9:21

So their definition must be that dusk is the end of the twilight.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR

Post by Keweenaw »

Sounds about right.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Dusk is indeed the end of twilight. Twilight itself is divided into three distinctions, Civil, Nautical and Astronomical depending on the number of degrees below the visible horizon the "center" of the Sun is.
sandystAR
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by sandystAR »

I am 52 and a pretty slow hiker with a 30+ pack. I hiked it last week in the rain from Three Mile (a total of 5 or so miles) and it took me about 3 hours which was great for me. I was wondering about the naked woman comment as I stood naked in Site #2 last week. Everything was wet and wearing nothing felt great. :) You will love Lane Cove. It was still beautiful even in the continuous rain.
Sandy
DP89
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DP89 »

Hiked this a week ago in the rain...sandystAR we must have been pretty close together if not at the same time!

The way there isn't too bad, we came from Rock Harbor. Lane Cove is a beautiful, tent only site. Hiking out of there is much more difficult, because of the many uphill switchbacks on the way to the Greenstone.
sandystAR
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by sandystAR »

DP89 - I hiked from Three Mile to Lane Cove on Friday, 8/20. Did my friend and I borrow a tarp from you? Her tent was filling up with water but I had one of best naps ever that day in my tent! :)