Trails could be tough in Spring

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Trails could be tough in Spring

Post by Tom »

erun wrote:Is 'first boat' already scheduled? If so, I'm wondering when reports on trail conditions might get reported back to this forum. For those of you who have spent a lot of time on IR, would I know any more about conditions on the ground by May 20? Thanks again for sharing your wisdom. Our group is excited to make our first visit to IR!
The "first boat" runs this Saturday when the Voyageur II starts her regular season. Technically the Ranger III has been making runs, and has taken hikers earlier in the past, but most consider the VII run to be the official "opening" of the Isle.
I'm guessing one or two of our forum members might be back in a week or so, and hopefully will oblige us and give us the run down of any major changes or issues on the Isle. Within a couple weeks it seems we always know if any docks took a hit, how trails are looking, etc.. Not sure how long Kevinl will be sticking out there, but he's a good resource and will be going out.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

If one of the early hikers would start a new topic, i.e. Trail Conditions 2011, it would be appreciated. Hopefully, reports on all trails could be given over the next several weeks.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

I just talked with Jasper yesterday and the cake has been ordered. Now just hope for calm water so we can all keep it down.
I'll bring a fork! Looking forward to meeting you budducci.
Not sure how long Kevinl will be sticking out there, but he's a good resource and will be going out.
Thanks Tom. I'm coming back next Thursday. My plan is to leave Windigo and hit North Desor, Little Todd, Hatchet Lake and Malone Bay. I will take notes and pictures. Consider me your forward scouting expedition.
budducci
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by budducci »

Kevinl,

My name is Adam. See you on Saturday morning!
budducci
NewbieCake

Post by budducci »

The trails this year were the worst that I've ever seen them. I was hitting about five significant trail blockages per mile. It made for some frustrating hiking. A friend and I did clear the entire spur from Chippewa to the Richie Junction. The trail crews were just starting up, so over the next couple of weeks the trails should get much better.
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

I'm curious if the trail crews use chain saws when there is significant clean up or if they stick with the hand saws, etc?
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

In early September 2010 there were many blowdowns on the western end of the island. Met one of the park workers at Lake Desor South and he said they typically use chainsaws, and try to limit their work to May, before there are too many people. They are concerned about the noise impacting the wilderness experience.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I don't ever recall the sound of chainsaws; I did see handsaws in use for trail blockers, ie. shrubs and blow downs.
I always hiked in Aug-Sept, never at a park opening time frame; I would think it most likely, that they would use chainsaws for the winter blow downs, and early season clean-up, just to get up and running. But, maybe not.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

IncaRoads is a faster typist than me. :lol:
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Vandy
Trailblazer

Post by Vandy »

IncaRoads wrote:In early September 2010 there were many blowdowns on the western end of the island. Met one of the park workers at Lake Desor South and he said they typically use chainsaws, and try to limit their work to May, before there are too many people. They are concerned about the noise impacting the wilderness experience.
Makes sense. Thanks for the post.
Vandy
Trailblazer

Post by Vandy »

jrwiesz wrote:IncaRoads is a faster typist than me. :lol:
Your effort is appreciated none the less!
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

The trails this year were the worst that I've ever seen them.
Andy, at times, it felt like those trees were trying to eat me. Sorry we didn't chat on the boat, I didn't see your actual name on here until after the trip. Also, I assume it was you guys who made the last entry from last year at the Malone Bay register (signed "Andy, Jasper, Jay"). I hope you had a great time on this one too.
budducci
NewbieCake

Post by budducci »

Kevinl wrote:
The trails this year were the worst that I've ever seen them.
Andy, at times, it felt like those trees were trying to eat me. Sorry we didn't chat on the boat, I didn't see your actual name on here until after the trip. Also, I assume it was you guys who made the last entry from last year at the Malone Bay register (signed "Andy, Jasper, Jay"). I hope you had a great time on this one too.

Adam, actually :) - I was the third name on the cake. And yep, we were the last group at Malone last year. I cut a couple days of packing this year, because my legs were so cut up and I was getting frustrated finding my way around the downed trees. Still, more fun than work.

Regarding trail crews, they definitely use chainsaws, especially to get everything cleared out early season. We used hand saws for what we did, and it was a good workout.