Inland Lakes

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Fritz
NewbieCake

Inland Lakes

Post by Fritz »

If you had the opportunity to backpack to only one in land lake which would it be? I have made it from Windigo to Lake Desor but my hiking partner crapped out and had to return to Windigo without seeing much of the inland lakes I was interested in seeing. During the upcoming season in 2013, would like to solo and have a one day rest day at one of the inland lakes and catch a few fish. I am going to travel the Greenstone but can switch trails to hit at least one inland lake for a rest. Any suggestions from the more experienced backpackers? I hope to stay one week and go from Windigo to RH.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Inland Lakes

Post by Vandy »

I hiked Windigo to RH last year. I stayed at Feldtman, and like it the best. While I didn't stay at Desor or Hatchet, I did do a quick drive by enroute to Todd Harbor. Given those three at least, I'd choose Feldtman.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

If we are are limiting the choices to trail accessible then I think my favorite to hang out at would be Lake Ritchie. For fishing, it's not too bad either, especially for Northern. There is a nice somewhat high bluff on the north shore. Perfect for eating lunch (maybe a fish fry?) or sunbathing. It also has a couple of islands which adds to its scenic look.

Chickenbone would be a distant second place. Coming along the Greenstone, do not waste too much time fishing either Desor or Hatchet. Both are listed as free of fish but there have been a few anecdotal reports disputing that.

Refer to this NP chart:
http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... 0lakes.xls
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Fritz
NewbieCake

Post by Fritz »

Thanks so much for the recommendations Vandy and Midwest Ed
LSue
NewbieCake

Post by LSue »

What about swimming in any of the inland lakes? Which ones are good for that?
greener
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by greener »

LSue wrote:What about swimming in any of the inland lakes? Which ones are good for that?
Lake Desor without a doubt, there's a beach down towards the right at the end of the trail.
LSue
NewbieCake

Post by LSue »

Thanks!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Be prepared for leeches in inland lakes. Even some better protected Lake Superior waters such as McCargoe Cove can also have leeches.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
LSue
NewbieCake

Post by LSue »

Thanks, I was wondering about that.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Ya...I would never swim in any of the inland lakes or at McCargoe. Leeches are lurking all around.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
back2nature
NewbieCake

Post by back2nature »

Is there any real danger from these leeches? I was in Chickenbone for an hour or so and had half a dozen of various size firmly attached, but i just yanked them off and went on my merry way...
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I am going to say that there is no harm in leaches.the lakes and streams have them by me ...we have been pulling them off for years. We always put a little bit of salt on them ....it seems to make some of the more difficult one easier to remove.Also if I recall correctly they used to be, or still may be used for medical purposes.....something with blood clots or gangreen I think. Gangreen may have been maggots though.Any way they haven't killed me.......yet! ;) I believe it is more of the freaky factor.....just my personal opinion, I am not a doctor, at least for people anyway.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I have also heard of them being used in medical industry... not that those ones came out of a lake. I pulled a few off last week also... not worried about it as long as the sore dosent get infected.
honouredamongfoxes
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by honouredamongfoxes »

Those leeches are merely a nuisance, I think. Avoid them by avoiding walking on the bottom, or by avoiding stirring up any detritus on the bottom. Glide-off, or breast stroke into the water off a shallow submerged boulder. That works at W Chickenbone where I've had a needed rinse on several trips.
IRexpat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by IRexpat »

Lucky Chicken wrote:I have also heard of them being used in medical industry... not that those ones came out of a lake. I pulled a few off last week also... not worried about it as long as the sore dosent get infected.
Leeches are indeed used, most often after re-attaching a digit (finger, toe, etc). They are applied to the distal (farthest) point, and draw blood through the attached part, thereby increasing the bloodflow. We'd get them in little containers- just like bait containers- but from some medical supply company, and apply them on a set schedule. Let 'em gorge for a while, then detach and destroy.
It's not Heaven, but they can see IR from there...