darksideofoz's Trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

darksideofoz's Trip

Post by Ingo »

Itinerary: This is still up in the air until I can get everyone in the party (2 or 3 others) together to see what they expect & what kind of $ they are willing to spend. This is the itinerary that I expect & hope to do:

15th:Stay at Rock Harbor or Daisy Farm.
16th: Catch the V2 to Windigo.
17th: Catch the V2 to McCargoe or Belle Isle, depending on where we get dropped off & how the water is looking we will kayak to one of the campgrounds in that area.
18th: same as above
19th: Stay at Merritt Lane
20th: Back to Copper Harbor

Notes/Other: The cost of the 2 trips on V2 might be too much to spend for a couple of the people going. If so we may just ride the V2 to Malone Bay & work our way back on the inland lakes & portages to Chippewa Harbor & then on to RH. This isn't ideal since 2 of us did the stretch from RH to past Caribou Island & back 3 years ago & we'd like to skip duplicating that stretch again.
Hey Justin, I highly recommend the north side of the island for paddling, so I think you should try to make that work if you can. A couple of other possibilities to look into:
- The water taxi may be less (or not much more) than the VII to get you to Belle Isle or McCargoe, depending on the numbers. They can only take 2 kayaks each, so it sounds like you'd have to take 2 water taxi's--I believe they have 2 boats. In any case it gives you the most flexibility.
- Do the trip in reverse from R.H. to Belle Isle or McCargoe and have the VII pick you up there. That would have to be a Sat., then catch the Queen on Sunday, if you could make that work. Rounding Blakes Point is the most dangerous water subject to lakes conditions, so it also settles that question at the beginning of the trip instead of the end. Once you get back in the bays you options, including a couple short portages that keep you off the big water. I like this option the best.
- The sightseeing boat also offers a "water bus" service. It goes to McCargoe cove on Wednesdays. I know they can, and think they will carry kayaks, but you'd have to check with them to be sure. They may even drop you off at Belle Isle on the way, but again, they don't advertise it.

http://www.isleroyaleresort.com has the water taxi and water bus (see "Sightseeing") info. Contact them for definitive info...
Love that area, beautiful, all great campgrounds! Happy paddling!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
darksideofoz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: darksideofoz's Trip

Post by darksideofoz »

Thanks for the info!

Last trip we went to Merritt Lane for our last night there. We had some time to go around the point & check out the north side a little. That is what made the 2 of us that are returning want to paddle that side. The weather on that trip was ridiculously calm & it took us no time to paddle everywhere in kayaks that were nowhere near as nice as what we have now. There were literally no waves around the point.

We have 3 people already financially committed to going & a 4th person was just mentioned to me a couple days ago. I was looking into the water taxi but it seemed like it was going to be a hassle splitting the group up which I hate to do from experience. My girlfriend & I do like the idea of being able to see the entire perimeter of the island by taking the V2 on those 2 legs. I will definitely bring the taxi option up with everyone when we get together in the next couple weeks.

As far as going from RH to Belle Isle or McCargoe I was assuming that would be into the wind/waves. When we 1st started talking about our 2nd trip on the ride back to Copper Harbor at the end of our 1st trip we had decided (for whatever reasons) to go the direction I listed. We will also discuss that.

I do like the options that don't force us to not paddle from place to place the 1st couple days too. Thanks a ton!

Justin
1 Isle Royale trip: July 2nd-6th 2010
RH>Caribou
Caribou>Daisy Farm Trail>Conglomerate Bay back country camping
Conglomerate Bay>Tookers
Tookers>Merritt Lane
Merritt Lane>Rasberry Island>RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

darksideofoz wrote:The weather on that trip was ridiculously calm & it took us no time to paddle everywhere in kayaks that were nowhere near as nice as what we have now. There were literally no waves around the point.
If only you could count on that :). Do be prepared to wait out the weather, though.
As far as going from RH to Belle Isle or McCargoe I was assuming that would be into the wind/waves.
Yeah, feels like the "right" direction to me, too, but I'd come from Minn for that trip. As far as wind/waves, I've actually analyzed wind data from the lighthouses and it's SW about 1/2 the time in the summer--but you never know what it's going to be on the days that may matter. I don't have a stellar track record trying to play the odds myself. In any case, if it's that bad you probably shouldn't be out there!
My girlfriend & I do like the idea of being able to see the entire perimeter of the island by taking the V2 on those 2 legs.

The best reason I know to go with the original plan :D . And you do get to check out Windigo. (Some folks don't enjoy the boat trip that much).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
darksideofoz
NewbieCake

Post by darksideofoz »

the group met last night & plans are almost set.

just a question or 2.

based on what you suggested with the return on Voyager from McCargoe to RH does that mean there is no chance we would be able to catch the Queen back that day? I am assuming that they won't meet up & we will be forced to stay until Sunday.

in which case, (before I call later to find out) do you know if we can alter our Queen reservations from a Saturday return to a Sunday return? We already had our ferry tickets purchased a few days before I got on here.

Thanks again for the suggestions. We will most likely follow your 2nd suggestion & paddle out around the point the 1st day & then get picked up at McCargoe on Saturday.
RH>Caribou
Conglomerate Bay>Tookers
Tookers>Merritt Lane
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

The Queen IV leaves (2:45 EDT) before the Voyageur II arrives (3:00 CDT) on Sat, so yes you'll need to change your return to Sun. I'm sure it won't be a problem (assuming they aren't full). But it will give you a chance to hike out to Scoville Pt and/or paddle out to Raspberry Island for the sunset :).

Remember that the VII operates on CENTRAL time, while everything else on the island is Eastern time. If you forget you may be waiting and wondering where she is at McCargoe, but that's better than "Oops" we missed her! They make the stops along the way as quick as possible, so do be ready.
darksideofoz
NewbieCake

Post by darksideofoz »

Reservation for the return trip has now been moved to the 21st. Extra time for paddling & hiking!

Thanks Ingo for helping me get close to the original plan we came up with 3 years ago. hehe, my buddy reminded me of that last night when we started going over stuff. 2 heads are better at remembering than 1 :)

I am getting the itch to get the kayak out.
RH>Caribou
Conglomerate Bay>Tookers
Tookers>Merritt Lane
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Not to go off topic even though I think this thread is pretty much dead, my OCD makes me wonder why if this thread was moved to the trails and campsites section, why does it still appear in the trip report section. I could understand there maybe being a temporary warning stamped on the thread for a week to notify users of its transfer to a different part of the forum, but is it normal for it to remain in both sections of the forum. Also I am correct in even assuming that it is in two sections of the forum boards. I find it in the Trip Report section and when I click into in an view its source it says Board Index - Isle Royale Web Board - Trails and Campsites, but I don't see it in the Trails and Campsites section when I click into that area and search through threads. Again just me being OCD when I look in the Trip Report section of the forums and have my eyes immediately target the " :arrow: moved" icon that shows up on the left side of the thread and ask why does this thread not fall in suit with the :arrow: -less other threads. This occurrence can also been seen with another thread in the Trip Report section.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Oh sure...ya that would happen. As soon as I made my above post, the topic shifted to where it belonged or at least where it was redesignated to: Trails And Campsites. I guess what happened was that it was moved, but that in order for the move to take place, someone had to make a post in the thread. Well low and behold that someone was Rafiki. Now on a different note, wouldn't this post be best suited for the General Questions areas since it seems to talk about everything and nothing all at the same time :shock: Well, I'm not going to go moving around a thread that was already moved once, if the move decides that he wanted to move it somewhere else, Ill leave that up to the person :wink:
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

AHHHHH :shock: Now its back in the Trip Report section, but still has reared its evil head in the Trails and Campsites section :evil: I give up, either the forums are haunted or I'm just a big dummy. If I continue to post on this matter perhaps it will start popping up in all of the forum sections. I need to let things be before my OCD goes really berserk :?
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

The Gremlins have been drinking bourbon again....
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert

Post by Ernest T Bass »

NancyT wrote:The Gremlins have been drinking bourbon again....
You almost made Diet Pepsi come out my nose....
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

Ohhh, carbination through nose, not so good!
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info