Isle Royale with kids

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

SSellepack
NewbieCake

Isle Royale with kids

Post by SSellepack »

[Moved from Trip Reports]
First, what a great resource this is!! My husband and I have been to IR twice, once when I was 4 months pregnant with my daughter (who we almost named after a great backpacker we met who shared her moleskin...).

Now, our children are 12 and 11, and we'd like to share the island with them. We are no strangers to camping and hiking, and my son has been backpacking. We've been training since very early spring, trying to gear up.

We've already bought our ferry tickets for July 2 - 8, and our plans are to do the Feldtman Siskiwit loop, counter-clockwise. Does anyone have any experience with backpacking on IR with tweens? Can you give us some advice?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Haven't backpacked, but did a family I.R. canoe trip with 2 teenage daughters. They loved it! Sounds like you're doing the right things to prepare the kids.

We had 1 particularly difficult portage--I basically made it out to be hell on earth--you'll be dead tired, want to die, but you can do it, etc, etc. At the end they were "That wasn't so bad Dad!" Of course after portaging the 2 canoes, I WAS about to die! So I guess my advise is to set realistic (or worse) expectations for both them and yourselves. i.e. It's not all fun and games but the rewards are worth it. :)

Also, we brought books, cards, and a small cribbage board (they learned at an early age). Weight, I know, but something to occupy camp time. We also had them keep a trip journal--again, occupies some time and preserves the memories. Keep them involved in setting up/breaking camp, cooking, etc. Oh, and don't forget the headnets. I've always brought them, never had to use them, but I'll pay the price of an ounce or 2 for the insurance!

Have a great trip! I'm sure it will be.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Do three immature male adults count as children? 'Cause then I have a lot of experience... :)

Welcome to the forums, SSellepack!
SSellepack
NewbieCake

Post by SSellepack »

Ah, yes, never underestimate the value of a good camp game...ours is Phase 10 or Michigan rummy. We're leaning toward Phase 10, since we only want to bring one deck.

Thanks for the advice of realistic expectations...I hadn't thought of that, and it makes perfect sense.

thank you both!
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Phase 10 is the best. It works for 2 to 6 players and anyone can join in. It is "idiot proof" and easy to learn, except for may JohnH who could not grasp the concept of draw, lay down, discard the entire week we played it. The best part is when your kid is on a 12 day long losing streak.

Games Won: Nick 20, Kat 2, Trish 2, JohnH 0
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

I've had my two girls backpacking on the island on multiple occasions. The first time they were 8 & 11. Just plan on shorter days than normal, and include plenty of "playtime." Your kids will have a great time and will be begging you to go back!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Nick wrote:Phase 10 is the best. It works for 2 to 6 players and anyone can join in. It is "idiot proof" and easy to learn, except for may JohnH who could not grasp the concept of draw, lay down, discard the entire week we played it. The best part is when your kid is on a 12 day long losing streak.

Games Won: Nick 20, Kat 2, Trish 2, JohnH 0
Seeing Nick do the Victory Dance-Pricless (Hysterical)!!!
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

What a great trip. You've planned a wonderful loop. We did the same when my son was younger. I recommend, if you have the time, to take at least one day that you're not traveling from camp to camp--Siskiwit Bay would be great for this. Let them hunt berries, swim, take a nap, explore the creeks, whatever.

The tower between Feldtmann Lake and Siskiwit Bay makes a great spot to have lunch.

Sunsets at Rainbow Cove, just a ways from Feldtmann Lake, are awesome. It's a great beach. Kids should love it. Nice place to have dinner too.

As you've probably read here on other threads, Island Mine iCampground isn't much to stay at. I would recommend blowing through it and heading to Washington Creek. Shortly after Island Mine, it all seems downhill, although it's a climb from Siskiwit to Island Mine.

Mountain House makes great desserts. Mmm...blueberry crumble.

As the kids get older, you can make them carry more weight. I don't even bring a backpack for myself anymore (kidding).

Have a great time.
SSellepack
NewbieCake

Re: Isle Royale with kids

Post by SSellepack »

Thank you so much for your detailed comments!! It's nice to hear from someone who's done that loop with kids. And, we're taking your advice and staying one extra day at Siskiwit for some playtime/resttime.

Oooo, and I didn't know about Mountain House and dessert...that will be INKED into the itinerary!!

And, as far as backpacks go, I was 4 months pregnant on my first visit and so was not able to carry much at all. So, this time I don't think I can get away with going light. Shoot. :-)

Our mantra from our first trip (where I was pregnant, our stove blew up (literally) and our water purifier broke)? Whatever does not kill us will make us stronger!!!

Thanks again for your thoughts! If you think of anything else, let me know!! :-)
2gersts
NewbieCake

Post by 2gersts »

I'm brand new here, so please pardon my ignorance. My son and I are planning to be on IR in two weeks. We're there for 3 nights, 4 days. We've geared up, done a bunch of research, worn in our boots, etc. We're new to backpacking. He's only 10 (but in pretty good shape). We're currently scheudled to arrive in Windigo b/c I was advised that's the spot to pack in from for the best part of the island. I'm just planning the route now, and I'm concerned. The Feldtsman loop looks like a good one, but a couple of the days are 9 and 10 miles treks. I'm worried that's too much for a 10 year old. I want him (and I) to enjoy ourselves. I was hoping for 5 mile days. Any suggestions? Should we go out from a different part of the island? Maybe 10 miles isn't as bad as I think it's going to be, but again, we're not in backpacking shape. Any guidance is very much appreciated.
SSellepack
NewbieCake

Post by SSellepack »

I would most definitely talk with the Rangers when you arrive. We were there last year at this time (I posted the above thread before we left...can't believe it's already been a year!), and we found the Southern part of the Feldtman loop to be very poorly maintained. Many times we had to slog through weeds 5 foot tall and taller, which took lots of extra effort. Also, much of the walk to Feldtman Lake then to Siskiwit Bay was through boggy areas, and the mosquitos were horrific. We just found our first two days to be very hard. Now, the part of the loop that was great was our extra day at Siskiwit Bay (just as perfect as is advertised) and the return down the Greenstone Ridge. Perhaps you could do an up and back? Also, if you are on that side of the island, DO NOT MISS the Huginnin Cove loop. It's exceptionally gorgeous up there. Also, check with a Ranger if you plan to stay at Island Mine. We stayed there last year and the "water source" was a muddy trickle. I hope this helps! Like I said, my husband and I went with our kids (then 11 & 12) last year, and it was the vacation of our lives. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Tough call. The Feldtman distances might be rough on a 10 year old, and like you said, it's his first time.
If you can switch your ferry tickets (presuming you're on the Voyageur II), you might consider dropping into to McCargoe Cove, with the plan to hike and get picked up at Chippewa. I just did that trip this June. Beautiful. Great inland lakes; beautiful protected areas of Superior. Trail is not so bad.
Since you're not obligated to stick to campsites, it gives plenty of options if you discover he's having issues.
You can stay night one at McCargoe, if you like, and explore the mines, or perhaps hike to West Chickenbone. From there you could choose Richie or Moskey, depending on how the legs are doing; and then the final night at Chippewa, getting picked up there in the morning. It might be a safer bet; with Feldtman (while I love it) you have to make 9-10 miles on two of the days - There are no other campsite options.

Tom
2gersts
NewbieCake

Post by 2gersts »

You guys are awesome...thanks for the advice.

The current thinking is to see if we can get dropped off at McCargoe Cove...spend a few hours exploring the area before hiking to Chickenbone West (only 2.7m and a nice easy first day w/ boat ride). Does anyone know if we can do some fishing there? From there, we're thinking of a day 2 hike to Chippewa Harbor. That would be an 8m trek and our biggest day on the trail. Day 3 we would hike 6.2m to Moskey Basin and day 4 take a 4m early morning trek to Daisy Farm.

Some questions for you more experieces IR goers. First, it looks like the ferry can be picked up at Daisy Farm. Is that right? I'll need to call the Voyager II folks to see if we can arrange this drop off/pick up. Are we picking the best mid-island stops? how's the camping (we'll be tenting...are the sites I mentioned good for non-groups?). Is there something along the route worth making our way to? Any suggestions for a different route that you think is better?

This forum is the best thing ever. I'd be completely lost without it, and I'm starting to feel more comfortable by the hour. Thank you very much!
2gersts
NewbieCake

Post by 2gersts »

OK...not to answer my own question, but I think we've got it locked in now. Here's what we're going to do.

8/8, VII to McGargoe Cove, spend the day there and take a late afternoon hike to W. Chickenbone (2.7m)
8/9, to Moskey Basin, 5.9m
8/10, to Chippewa Harbor, 6.2m
8/11, VII picks us up at 9am at Chippewa Harbor

Not very much hiking, but beautiful spots and probably a great first experience for a 10 year old (time to fish and enjoy the sites and just hanging out with dad at the campsite).

Let me know what you think (and anything we should make sure to see along the way) and thanks for all the input.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Sounds like a great plan to me. All great sites. I think the boat gets to McCargoe around 2pm, so you might not want to spend too much time there. But I like to get into camp early.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH