Hammock camping on the Isle

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

hk2001
NewbieCake

Hammock camping on the Isle

Post by hk2001 »

Hello all,

I'm looking at making my first trip to Isle Royale this June, with my wife and a friend. All three of us will be in hammocks. Can anyone give me some insight into which campsites are better for hammocks. We're looking at sticking to the east side (east of Chickenbone) for 5 days. Backpacking only. Fishing is a must: I've never caught a pike, and I'd really like to. :D

I'd also considered backcountry camping as an alternative to guarantee the ability to hang hammocks, but there seems to be very limited places on the zone map that are both 1/4 from trails, and yet are easily accessible because of swamps and other waterways. I had been particularly interested in Zone 8, hiking the ridge between Stockly Bay and Lake Ahmik and camping somewhere on the eastern edge of Lake Ahmik. Being off trail, I'd hope Ahmik receives less fishing pressure than other lakes.

So if anyone has advice about where to setup in the backcountry, I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm extremely experienced in backcountry camping and navigation, so I'm not to worried about that.

Thanks!
-HK
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Hammock camping on the Isle

Post by Tightlines01 »

Hey hk2001,

I've never taken a hammock to the island, but I have one I've taken and used instead of a tent in another areas I go to sometimes. I've thought about taking it to the island.

I've seen some people use hammocks on the island and know of others who do (photosean if memory serves hammock camps on the isle). Realistically most camp grounds would likely be able to also hang at as opposed to tent it. I don't know what you use for supports (I use old ratchet straps with the ends cut off and would bring an extra set) but I'd plan on needing some longer hangs just in case you have a less than desirable set up. The perfect angle and set up will be harder than just out in a normal woods.

As far as good campsites to hang at I'd recommend Lane Cove, Little Todd, Hatchet Lake, North Desor. Generally from memory some of the more northern side sites seem to be more hammock friendly but some others could work also depending on the site in the campground.

Do you use an underquilt or a pad for bottom insulation? If you use a pad you could always have a back up plan of tarp camping on the ground if you can't get a site with a good hang.

Best of luck and let us know where you go and how it works out.

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

We are also going in June and my backpacking buddy is planning on using a hammock... I will be following the responces.

We are planning on staying at, island mine, siskiwit, feldtmann, washington creek, and hugnnin cove. Hopefully we can make those work!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I would search the forums (if you haven't already), as there have been some hammock discussions in the past. I don't recall ever reading that someone had a big issue finding a place to set up, though. Lake Richie is probably the most reliable pike lake (on a trail), and Chickenbone is good and also has walleye. The bays of Superior also have pike, as well as trout (in cooler months). I haven't heard of much luck shore fishing along Rock Harbor though (i.e. Three Mile or Daisy Farm). I know folks have bushwacked into Sargent Lake to fish, but not sure about camping.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Trmills85
NewbieCake

Post by Trmills85 »

During our Trip in Late May, We stopped at Lane Cove, Chickenbone West, Daisy Farm, and Rock Harbor. Plenty of Trees at Lane Cove, Chickenbone West, and Daisy Farm on the Camp Sites. We didn't use an underquilt, just rolled a small cut of silver sided bubble insulation. Only used it the first night. 3 of us sweat through our bags and had to hang them to dry the next day. I've seen photos of Island Mine and it appears to be pretty good for hammocks. Somewhere in past trip reports is a Huginnin Cove where they used a hammock.

Fishing wise....Caught 2 lakers off the shore in Lane Cove, I didn't have much luck at Lake Ritchie or Chickenbone though. Some what happy about that through, because the guys in my group would have wanted me to clean any Northern, which I hate doing because of the 'Y' Bone. The lakers tasted amazing though.
hk2001
NewbieCake

Post by hk2001 »

We're going to be using underquilts, but I may have to break down and have us each bring some form of pad. We're all using double layered hammocks so if we needed some extra insulation we could use the pads with the hammocks. As far as suspension, we'll be using tree straps on the trees.

We're still tossed up between the end of May, and early June for our arrival on the Island, looking at the average temps (for Thunder Bay) It looks like Average Highs in the low 60's and lows in the low 40's. Is there any concern of ice on the inland lakes, and bays of Superior at that time? Will the water temps be to cold for good fishing?

It's looking like Lane Cove is defiantly going to be our day 1 target.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

End of May early June could still have ice especially this year which appears to be a very cold one. Last year I was scheduled for first boat out on MN and cancelled half way up (was into WI before we got the phone call and turned around). The shore ice in early May was so bad Capt Don had to change itineraries which wouldn't work for our vacation. When I went back in early June there was still some snow left. The lakes and trails were impassible in early May (see Mike Ts report).

It all depends on how warm a spring we have and how long winter holds on for as it's been pretty rough lately. Fenerally speaking though early June should be OK to fish.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

After my first couple trips to IR, I went with only a hammock, tarp and sleeping pad. Under quilts weren't an item when I started doing this, but the advantage of a pad is that you can sleep on the ground or in a shelter if you don't want to use a hammock.
I've always stayed in shelters when available, the hammock otherwise. Seems to me that I had some trouble finding a good spot for even one hammock at Little Todd despite having the campgrounds to myself. I always got the single shelter at Todd Harbor every time I stayed there so don't recall how hammock friendly the tent sites are.
Be sure you pick durable trees. I was horrified to wake up one morning and see that the rope on my hammock had stripped the bark on a pine. I'm much more careful now. Straps should eliminate that problem.

As to backcountry camping when you go, for your trip you could probably have as good a time mostly shelter camping and day-hiking into more remote lakes. As you've noticed, it's a narrow part of the island and gets a lot of use, on and off the trail. I don't fish, so can't offer advice, but have you looked at the list of fish/lakes on the IR NPS site, under brochures?