How many days from Rock Harbor to Windigo and back?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JPlant
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

How many days from Rock Harbor to Windigo and back?

Post by JPlant »

My brother and I will be visiting in mid July and would like to hike from Rock Harbor to Windigo, pick up a bounce box, and back to Rock Harbor. We are both reasonably fit in our mid 30s, but this is our first trip to IR. How many days should we allot for this trip? We are thinking we may try it in 9 days, but this might be cutting it close. We are both interested in the athleticism of hiking and not so much sitting around the campsite. What say you? Are we nuts? Any reccomendations for routes? Thanks in advance!
James
Last edited by JPlant on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: How many day from Rock Harbor to Windigo and back?

Post by Lucky Chicken »

9 days is posasble... fastest time trail running is 10ish hours.

If you are up for ~10 mile days you should be fine, the best part is you will be going back roughly the same way you came so planning the return trip stops is easier. you could buy food in windigo, but your selection might be variable or you can ship yourself food using the voyager. you could go over to windigo via the greenstone and back to mccargo via the minong. if you wanted to take your time on the hikes you could catch a ferry from mccargo to rock.
JPlant
NewbieCake

Re: How many days from Rock Harbor to Windigo and back?

Post by JPlant »

So, I'm trying to fit it all into an itinerary. Does this sound insane?

13th Arrive on IR Queen, then Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm (7.1 miles)
14th Daisy Farm to Todd Harbor (14.6 hard up and down miles)
15th Todd Harbor to Desor South (11.6 miles)
16th Desor South to Washington Creek (11.3 miles)
17th Pick up mailed box from Voyageur, rest and wash up.
18th Washington Creek to Desor North (12.6 miles)
19th Desor North to Hatchet Lake (12.3 miles)
20th Hatchet Lake to West Chickenbone (7.9 miles)
21st West Chickenbone to Daisy Farm (7.9 miles)
22nd Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor and home on the IR Queen (7.1 miles)

I know the 14th is going to be a real bear (maybe I don't know how bad it will actually be). I'm thinking that getting this rough hike out of the way while we're fresh would be a good idea, though. My brother says maybe it'll just give our blisters plenty of time to fester. I'm not sure if there is a better way to plan this trip so we can pick up a box and make it back in time for the ferry.

Lucky Chicken, you mentioned catching the ferry at McCargoe. Is that something that can happen on the fly, or do we need to schedule it in advance?

Thanks again.
James
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

So my thoughts...

It is doable if your used to hiking with loads, tiring but doable. Personally I usually do better about the 3rd day or so as I get my trail legs going after a few days. It's definitely possible to hike out from Daisy and catch the boat back, just get an early start and don't dally. You would have to schedule the trip from Windigo to McCargoe with the Voyager.

Personally I think the 19th is your toughest day as the hiking that day will make you feel like a billy goat. I know people skip over little Todd sometimes doing the Minong but I really like that campground personally.

I don't have my map in front of me right now but you could go from Daisy to Hatchet and just take the greenstone into Windigo and the Minong back.

Perhaps
3 mile ( easy day 1) or Lane Cove
West chicken
Hatchet
Island mine (bigger day)
Huginnin cove (Pick up package in Windigo)
Desire north
Todd Harbor
McCargoe
Daisy
JPlant
NewbieCake

Post by JPlant »

Thanks Tightlines! I think that sounds like a much better pace. I tried building in a rest day as slop to make up for times we couldn't accomplish what we planned, but I think we may just use your itinerary. If we get to Windigo and decide we won't be able to make it back, we can always get the ferry to pick us up along the Minong. Thanks again! This forum is a great resource for those of us planning a trip for the first time.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Just remember the ferry only stops at Mccargo on Minong. Enjoy the trip... Wish I had 9 days on the island!
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

Having done the Rock Harbor - Windigo loop, I would recommend taking the Minong outbound and the Greenstone back (the Minong is a much more difficult route and it is easier to do with fresher legs.

Day 1 Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm via the Tobin Harbor trail
Day 2 Daisy Farm to Todd Harbor via McCargoe
Day 3 Todd Harbor to NLD
Day 4 NLD to Windigo
Day 5 rest/ resupply
Day 6 Windigo to SLD
Day 7 SLD to West Chickenbone
Day 8 West Chickenbone to Daisy Farm or 3 mile
Day 9 to Rock Harbor via Tobin Harbor trail

I mention the Tobin Harbor trail because it is much less technical and hence much faster than taking the Rock Harbor trail. Depending on when you go and what the visitor count on ISRO is, it can be a foot race to get a spot at some of the Rock Harbor campgrounds...

I agree that Little Todd is one of the best campgrounds on ISRO and if you have the opportunity to camp there, take it.
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by 3MTA3 »

Redbad wrote:Having done the Rock Harbor - Windigo loop, I would recommend taking the Minong outbound and the Greenstone back (the Minong is a much more difficult route and it is easier to do with fresher legs.

Day 1 Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm via the Tobin Harbor trail
Day 2 Daisy Farm to Todd Harbor via McCargoe
Day 3 Todd Harbor to NLD
Day 4 NLD to Windigo
Day 5 rest/ resupply
Day 6 Windigo to SLD
Day 7 SLD to West Chickenbone
Day 8 West Chickenbone to Daisy Farm or 3 mile
Day 9 to Rock Harbor via Tobin Harbor trail

I mention the Tobin Harbor trail because it is much less technical and hence much faster than taking the Rock Harbor trail. Depending on when you go and what the visitor count on ISRO is, it can be a foot race to get a spot at some of the Rock Harbor campgrounds...

I agree that Little Todd is one of the best campgrounds on ISRO and if you have the opportunity to camp there, take it.
I agree with everything said here. Go north, then come back on Greenstone. Also, Little Todd is amazing!