Feedback on first-time itinerary?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

mowran
NewbieCake

Feedback on first-time itinerary?

Post by mowran »

Hi there,

Can I trouble any seasoned backpackers to comment on the below itinerary? My fiance and I are in our early 30s, not expert backpackers but in good shape. Any thoughts on routing/mileage considerations/campgrounds are very much appreciated. Giddy with excitement for this trip, have been reading about Isle Royale for years.

Thank you so much!
Anne Marie

Monday, August 25
Depart Copper Harbor at 8:00 AM via the Queen IV, arrive Rock Harbor 11-11:30 AM
Take water taxi to Daisy Farm
Hike Daisy Farm to Moskey Basin via Rock Harbor Trail (3.9 miles)
Overnight Moskey Basin

Tuesday, August 26
Hike Moskey Basin to McCargoe Cove via Lake Ritchie Trail and Indian Portage Trail (8.4 miles)
Overnight McCargoe Cove

Wednesday, August 27
At leisure (ZERO DAY)
Explore portion of Minong Ridge Trail toward Todd Harbor (Otter Lake?)
Relax at camp? Bushwhack?
Overnight McCargoe Cove

Thursday, August 28
Hike McCargoe Cove to Daisy Farm via East Chickenboke Lake, Greenstone Ridge Trail and Daisy Farm Trail (8.2 miles)
Overnight Daisy Farm

Friday, August 29
Hike Daisy Farm to Lane Cove via Mount Ojibway Trail, Greenstone Ridge Trail and Lane Cove Trail (6.9 miles)
Overnight Lane Cove

Saturday, August 30
Hike Lane Cove to Rock Harbor via Lane Cove Trail and Rock Harbor Trail (6.9 miles)
Could potentially take the 2:45 PM Queen IV back to Copper Harbor
***OR***
Have a beer/bite at the lodge, enjoy a much-needed shower, use the laundry facilities, camp at Rock Harbor Campground and depart the following day
Depart OR Overnight Rock Harbor
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Feedback on first-time itinerary?

Post by head2north »

Hi,

My first trip to the island was identical to your itinerary, water taxi removed. The route offers a very diverse look at the
island.

As in your itinerary, a visit to the western terminus of Otter Lake, high above on the Minong trail, will deliver a
panoramic view of Canada with Beaver and Otter Lake below the cliffs. I am not sure about bushwhacking the 200 feet to
Otter Lakes shoreline, but the view on Minong Ridge above is a must. A perfect place for a day trip lunch. The Minong Mine
could be visited as well.

I like to get out of Rock Harbor ASAP when I arrive to Isle Royale, However, there is something about spending the last night
in the campground and enjoying the amenities (shower, food, beer, etc.)

Look forward to your trip report.

JJ
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

Hi Anne Marie,

I think your mileages look fine if your boots are broken in and you are practiced at carrying your loaded packs! Because it all looks achievable, the only advice I have is to carry plenty of water on the ridge and realize that the final section of trail to/from Lane Cove seems MUCH longer when you are hiking it than it looks on the map!

Since you already have a solid plan, I'll throw out a couple comments on the trail sections and maybe cloud the issue a little with some options you might consider :D

Water taxi to Daisy Farm - this gives you a jump on your way to Moskey, but you could alternatively take the taxi straight to Moskey and skip a fairly rough section of the trail. Moskey is a beautiful camp, but if you are eager to hike, you could hit the trail and make it to Chippewa Harbor. Of course, you could just take the water taxi to Chippewa (one of the best campsites on the island) and spend the rest of the day exploring Lake Mason and sunset ridge!

McCargo from Chippewa is a long day, but certainly doable ... and taking the next day as a zero mileage recovery day at McCargo is a great idea! The mines are fun to explore, and the water by the dock is good for swimming.

McCargo to Daisy is a long day, but besides having a few neighbors around at Daisy it is a nice place to sit on the dock and watch the lake.

I agree with heading up to the fire tower in the morning and enjoying a ridge hike to Mt Franklin. At that point I personally would skip Lane Cove and head to Three Mile. Some on here love it though, so you should choose based on how you are feeling at that point.

If you skip Lane, you could spend the night at Three Mile or head on into Rock Harbor. While RH would make for a long day, the opportunity for beer or ice cream (or both) at the end might be enough incentive to keep going!

I like to be at Rock Harbor the night before I take the ferry, and enjoy the morning out on Scoville point or by renting a canoe and visiting Lookout Louise. Of course, you could splurge on a rowboat w/ motor and sneak in a visit to Moskey Basin and the lighthouse if you wanted!

There are many ways to enjoy a week on the island, and no wrong way to do it :D
mowran
NewbieCake

Post by mowran »

JJ and SRPAR - Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice. I feel much more confident about our itinerary, and may very well take the water taxi to Moskey or Chippewa Harbor (instead of Daisy Farm) that first day. So happy to have found this forum, what a wonderfully supportive community and very special island that I cannot wait to experience in a few short weeks.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

srparr,

Where do you rent the boats? Is it at the lodge office or somewhere else?
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

You rent them at the small marina office by the boat docks in Rock Harbor. If no one is currently there, someone at the store can call them... the two are both run by the lodge.