Trip plan

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Steve A
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Trip plan

Post by Steve A »

Hello, I am considering a first time backpacking trip to IR. Although plans aren't set in stone, I would probably start at Rock Harbor in the end of August or beginning of Sept. Although I have backpacked before, I don't have a lot of experience and will need to get into better physical shape. Can anyone make some suggestions on possible routes for a four night trip ?

I will be researching the forum for previous posts. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Steve A on Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Trip plan

Post by Donk_67 »

How long will you be on the Isle? I'm sure your research will give you lots of ideas. Given the rugged terrain on Isle Royale, most people here will caution you to keep your miles down, and truly the experience is much more rewarding if you take your time hiking between camps. For Ideas, I'll give you my 2012 itinerary when I first visited IR with a group of Venturing Scouts.

Day 1: Ferry from Copper Harbor to Rock Harbor arriving mid-day and after orientation got on trail around 1:30. Hiked Rock Harbor (shoreline) trail to 3 Mile.

Day 2: 3 Mile to Moskey Basin

Day 3: Moskey to West Chickenbone with day hike to McCargoe

Day 4: Chickenbone to Daisy Farm via the Greenstone

Day 5 Daisy to Rock Harbor via the Greenstone and Mt.Franklin trails

Day 6: Morning hike on Stoll trail to watch the sun rise. Depart on 2:30 ferry back to Copper Harbor.

Notable moments: Moskey Basin (otters and fox), Mt. Franklin looking north to Thunder Bay, waiting out a calf and cow browsing on Daisy Farm Trail, and having a twilight visit of moose in group campsite at Rock Harbor.

Hope this helps.
frdm02
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by frdm02 »

Here is my trip report from our first visit to IR. My wife was in good shape, but had less than 20 miles in a pack her entire life. I am an eagle scout avid backpacker. Some liberty may have been taken to make the trip report entertaining, but the basic feeling of the trip and itinerary shows through
http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2649
Steve A
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Steve A »

Thanks for the help. I don't want to be too ambitious with my plans, but do want to seen a decent bit of what the island has to offer.