Eastern end bushwacking

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Eastern end bushwacking

Post by tree rattt »

I am looking for some info on bushwacking on the eastern end.From what I have seen it is considerably more rugged. What I am looking for in particular is a Bushwack from Lookout Louise to the Duncan bay narrows campsite.That I site is on the main island correct ?It looks like it on the map. I thought that I read something on here about it, but I can't find anything.So if anybody has done this ,I am wondering if it is possible? Looks to be about a half to 3/4 of a mile.

IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Eastern end bushwacking

Post by IncaRoads »

Not possible. There are cliffs to the north side of the Greenstone Trail in this area. Peruse the topo maps a little closer and see for yourself.

Link to Ingo's previous discussion on this --> http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 022#p11022
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

As always I appreciate the help Incaroads! That answered questions I didn't know that I had.It sounds like another trip, with another mode of travel. :)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I think you could maybe get down to the north Duncan Bay shoreline but first you must bushwack more than 2 miles further northeast along the Greenstone Ridge before heading downslope. Of course the bigger question and maybe insurmountable feat is whether the shoreline would allow the more than 1 mile trek back to the campground. Or just take 3 or 4 hundred feet of climbing rope with you?
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013