1st Trip to IR - 12 day itinerary

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

hermsker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

1st Trip to IR - 12 day itinerary

Post by hermsker »

Im getting excited for my first trip in 3 weeks and wanted to gain some opinion on my plan for the trip. The girlfriend and I are heading up on the first ferry from Grand Portage on May 13th and leaving May 24th, We do lots of weeklong backpacking trips in CO so we have some experience and we are both 25 and it pretty good shape. Let me know what you think, all feedback is appreciated.

Day 1 - Arrive at Windigo, hike to Island Mine (6.9 Miles)
Day 2 - South Lake Desor (5.5 Miles)
Day 3 - Hatchet Lake (8.3 Miles)
Day 4 - Todd Harbor (3.9 Miles) - Kind of a mini break day. I heard this is a more beautiful spot to stay anyway?
Day 5 - McCargoe Cove (6.6 Miles)
Day 6 - Lake Richie (6.3 Miles) - Good shoreline Pike fishing I hear?
Day 7 - Chippewa Harbor (4.3 Miles) - another short day, but also gorgeous I hear? Also the only backtracking we have to do.
Day 8 - Moskey Basin (6.2 Miles)
Day 9 - Three Mile (8 Miles)
Day 10 - Rock Harbor (3 miles) - pickup a food drop by Noon, Then get in a power boat we rented and head to Blake point, and on to Bell Isle for night
Day 11 - Cruise around in the boat/fish, go to Tookers for lunch and Caribou Island for the night
Day 12 - Return boat by 8am, then catch inter-island sea plane by 9am (Rock Harbor to Windigo) - 1 pm get on ferry back to Grand Portage
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: 1st Trip to IR - 12 day itinerary

Post by Ingo »

Sounds very reasonable to me. All that you've heard is true! My only question is if you've talked to the folks at the lodge about the boat rental? I'm not sure they'll have the boats ready for rent by then--should be close. Also, I don't think they'll let you take it all the way to Blake Pt--pretty sure they're limited to Rock Harbor or Tobin Harbor (and not both). Here's their contact info http://www.isleroyaleresort.com/contactus/, but not sure if the winter or summer number is best--they're probably in the process of moving up there soon.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hermsker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hermsker »

Thanks for the response! I just got the boat reserved today. They start renting the 22nd, so we will get it 2 days before we leave the 24th. I will ask about the boating restrictions once I get up there. Our boat plans are pretty fluid, so we can make whatever work based on rules, weather, etc. once we get that far.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

All hikes are very reasonable and doable. The only thing I'd think of is possibly combining a leg it two for a weather day in case it's nasty. I'd not want to be hiking in a cold rain. You could always pull time off the boat days if you get rained in somewhere.

The only other thing I see that would be a pain is getting packed up to have the boat back by 8:00. Going to be an early AM that day ; )
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

That is quite the adventure you have planned. You're hitting some of the most beautiful spots on the island as well.

We will both be on the same side of the Island on the 24th. You'll be in Windigo, however, and I'll be in the backcountry some where...
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Your itinerary looks like you will get to see most of the island at a leisurely pace. I like the boating option to end the trip.

When at Caribou Island, make sure you hop on over to the Edison Fishery. From that central point there is a spur trail to both the lighthouse and Bangsund cabin.
As far as Belle Isle is concerned, if the Marina suggests that you do not go that distance for a one night stay, consider Merritt Lane.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

Sounds like a great trip. I'm going with a couple of friends that same week, the first three days of our trip are the same as yours. We are flying in early and plan to hit the trail as soon as we pick up fuel. Look for Rod, Jim, and Adrienne.