Backcountry/CrossCountry Questions - Stick Stoves

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

gwpruitt
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Backcountry/CrossCountry Questions - Stick Stoves

Post by gwpruitt »

I am soon heading back to Isle Royale for my 3rd trip. As with many of the others - i just cant seem to get enough of Isle Royale.

This trip will be a bit different. We (3) will be using hammocks and plan to obtain a cross country permit and plan on exploring the area on the northeast part of the island...say east of Lane Cove.

I have been reviewing topo maps etc and have a few potential areas in mind...of course all that can change once boots are on the ground.

I am very familiar with LNT.

Regarding camping off trail...I have reviewed the permit text, etc. but I wanted to get thoughts on stick stoves and specifically crosscountry camping...are stick stoves prohibited?

I have two options - a regular size solo stove (a bit small in my opinion), I also have a folding firebox. Both are self contained stick stoves.

I know they are allowed in campgrounds per the Superintendent's Compendium - but what about those of us off grid - does that change anything?

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Backcountry/CrossCountry Questions - Stick Stoves

Post by Tom »

I think provided you don't light them withing 50 feet of a fuel storage tank or dispensing facility, you should be good to go.
I'll be interested in reading your TR when you return. That part of the Isle seems like it would be tough to backcountry in places, between the water and the ridges. Good luck!
gwpruitt
NewbieCake

Post by gwpruitt »

Tom - Thanks for your view on the stick stove...and like I said...once boots are on the ground things may change.

Do you have any recommendations for more favorable crosscountry explorations?

Thanks!
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

gwpruitt wrote:.......Do you have any recommendations for more favorable crosscountry explorations?......
Bushwalking in the NE part of the island can be a challenge. You’ll be in thick boreal forest with spruce and balsam fir everywhere. Plus, there’s the terrain. Take your pick, ridge or valley (often a lowland). I did do some bushwalking off the far NE Greenstone Ridge in late May, but I didn’t stray far from the trail. Just didn’t feel comfortable playing Mr. Explorer, especially since I was alone.

The easiest area to bushwhack, at least for me, is in the hardwood stands found on the far SW part of the island, just up the ridge from Windigo. This part of Isle Royale is not quite as rugged as the NE part of the island and the hardwood forests tend to be more open, with less thick underbrush. Easier line-of-sight navigating. The area just to the west of Lake Desor is what I’m most familiar with.

Many year’s back, we explored the Saginaw Point area of Isle Royale. A very unique area (if you’re into trees) in that this is the largest stand of Jack Pine that is found on the island (a few hundred acres). Easy to walk through too, offering good line-of-sight travel. Getting to it can be a problem, we accessed this area by kayak.

While I haven’t personally tried this, I’ve heard of people exploring parts of the 1936 burn. The area bordering Lake Whittlesey (both sides) is largely exposed bedrock. If you know what you’re doing, orienteering here looks to be relatively easy.

No matter where you go, be prepared! Take a good GPS unit, compass and maps. It helps if you have good orienteering skills. Plus, let the rangers know where you’re going. Stuff can happen, as they say.
trailgoat_70
NewbieCake

Post by trailgoat_70 »

Very nice! I haven't tried going off-trail.
"I am a happy camper so I guess I’m doing something right."

- Henry David Thoreau
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

gwpruitt wrote: Do you have any recommendations for more favorable crosscountry explorations?
Like treeplanter notes, the area you are looking at is fairly rugged. Being on the "north" side of the Greenstone, it tends to have more acute ridges and cliffs, and in general being fairly narrow, I would think if you came to water, it might be more troublesome to find a way around it. It's also fairly dense in vegetation. It's why I'm truly interested in reading a TR from someone who tries it! :)
Most of my cross-country exploration has stuck to areas on the "south" face, where in general you can often "pick an open ridge" and follow it a fair amount. The spaces between Malone to Chippewa, and Chippewa to Moskey in general all have this trait. (As noted some of this is the 1936 burn area. And if you come across any of the survey markers, you can clear see that they were put in during a time of far fewer trees...)
To some degree, you can also walk a fair amount of the Greenstone "downhill" from the ridge trail (to the SE) from Island Mine to Chickenbone, and it stays fairly open. (And mostly dry, too, not much water to cross.) For someone new to hiking off trail, it's fairly 'safe' in that you can still follow the ridge, and if you get confused or lost just go uphill until you find the main trail.
gwpruitt
NewbieCake

Post by gwpruitt »

Thanks for the ideas. It shall be an adventure. I will be sure to report back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

gwpruitt wrote:Regarding camping off trail...I have reviewed the permit text, etc. but I wanted to get thoughts on stick stoves and specifically crosscountry camping...are stick stoves prohibited?
I contacted Isle Royale National Park Service today via their website with the question "Are stick stoves allowed when doing cross-country camping?" and they responded "Yes. Just be sure to use dead and down sticks."
gwpruitt
NewbieCake

Post by gwpruitt »

Wonderful...thanks for the followup!
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

We just did the bushwack from Malone to chippewa harbor....I wouldn't recomend this area if you are not well skilled in the bush

We use a stick stove, and wouldn't want it any other way :)