Advice on overnight trip 8/5

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

bds1217
NewbieCake

Post by bds1217 »

Hi all,

I'm planning to swing by Isle Royale on a cross country road trip in earl September. I can only spend one night on the island and looking for advice on how best to spend it.

I'll be getting to the island via the Voyager 2 from Grand Portage and leaving the same way. My intention is to get dropped off at one location and hike to one of the Voyager II pickup points for the next day, camping overnight.

The simplest plan seems like starting at McCargoe Cove and then hiking to Chippewa Harbor, about 10 miles total. However, there are obviously lots of other combinations that go from a day 1 Voyager II drop off (McCargoe Cove, Rock Harbor) to a day 2 Voyager II pick up (Rock Harbor, Daisy Farms, Chippewa Harbor). The longest longest possible reasonable combo would probably be McCargoe to Rock Harbor which is about 16 miles and doable for the shape me and my hiking partner are in.

So I think what I most interested in knowing is which route offers the best experience for the limited time I'll be in the park. I am definitely interested in seeing/hearing some wildlife and catching good views, not necessarily covering the most ground.

Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Advice on overnight trip 8/5

Post by Ingo »

I think McCargoe to Chippewa is the best option, camping at Lake Richie. I think you need to be at Chippewa before 9 a.m. If you go McCargoe to R.H. the boat leaves at 7 or 7:30am, so you'd have to do the whole hike in an afternoon/evening, or at least get to Three Mile. Even if that's reasonable for you, I don't think it would be the most enjoyable quick trip.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I'd consider McCarge to Daisy. Hike is very doable in one day. Daisy is the largest campground which would be good as you'll be strolling in late that day. Also you'll get some great views on the greenstone and possible moose sighting when dropping into Daisy in the evening. You could consider lengthening it slightly and go to Mt Ojibway firetower for more views then drop into Daisy. Push hard for the tower after starting at Mccargoe, rest at fire tower then your only about 1.7 or so miles into Daisy to pick up the voyager the next morning.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Either suggestion offered so far would be good. The Daisy Farm destination would allow you to see more of the Greenstone Ridge. Very nice views if the weather is clear. Your days will be shorter in September and you won't arrive at McCargo until about 1 pm (Central Time) and departure the next day would be early (by 8:30 or 9 am). Another idea that would maximize your time actually on the Island would be to get off at Windigo arriving about 9:30 am. You would then depart Windigo at 1 pm the next day. This would give you time to overnight at Feldtmann Lake (9 miles one way). I never liked backtracking but the views are always different returning. Or there is always the Huginnin Cove loop that might come in handy if the boat is delayed by weather. If you overnight at Feldtmann Lake you might feel up to a packless hike part way up to the Feldtmann Ridge and back.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Welcome to the forum bds1217,

The simplest would be to get off the Voyager II at Windigo, take a shelter at Washington Creek, day hike Hugginin Cove Loop(maybe have lunch there), camp Washington Creek overnight. :idea:

In the morning explore the Windigo area, range station exhibits, rent a canoe, hike to/back Grace Creek overlook; things in the area many people miss due to their hurried schedules. :shock:

Plenty of "views" on the "cove loop" and "overlook" hikes; also, you're not making a "forced march" to meet the boat. :twisted:

If you are going in September, no problem with the shelters(one would guess); most likely, not in August either. I am not sure(by your post "8/5" in the topic line) when your timeline for visiting actually is. :?:

By basing yourself in the Washington Creek area, you can get the most of your "day" in the park. The NPS will actually consider this 2 days in the park; isn't it magical? 8)

Just my thoughts. :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I agree that spending the night in Washington Creek (Windigo) offers the best option to actually see as much as possible. Washington Creek campground is about 1/2 mile from the the "busy" area of Windigo and is well known for it's wildlife (moose, water fowl and more). One shelter is presently closed due to its close proximity to nesting Loons. In September your chances of getting a shelter are very high (You might need to check around to see who is leaving at 1 pm). From there you can "day hike" covering more distance in four potential directions and get a taste of - Huginnin, Minong, Greenstone or Feldtmann. I don't know how far up the Minong Ridge Trail you need to go to achieve decent views but I think it's a fair distance on the Greenstone Ridge Trail. The Feldtmann Trail has some nice views around Grace Creek.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Welcome to the forum bds1217,

I'm going to second jrweisz and Midwest Ed's recommendation to just jump off at Windigo. It's a shorter boat ride, which will afford you much more time to enjoy the island.

It's approx. a two-hour boat ride to Windigo. You'd get in at 0930 CST and have lots of time on the island. Like others have said, stay at Washington Creek in a shelter and have a lot less logistics to worry about, then day hike out to Hugginin Cove and spend some time. (Take the east trail out, the west trail back). You won't be disappointed with that.
bds1217
NewbieCake

Post by bds1217 »

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I'll report back with how it went!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

bds1217 wrote:Thanks for all the helpful advice, I'll report back with how it went!
Please do, and enjoy your time. Prepare to be amazed.