Hammocks Inside of Shelters

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

gcloud
NewbieCake

Post by gcloud »

Hello all,

I was wondering if the shelters had appropriate ways to hang a hammock inside the shelter without risk of damaging the shelter. I sleep great in hammocks and wondered if this was possible.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Hammocks Inside of Shelters

Post by Tightlines01 »

No I have a couple hammocks, there would be no good way to hang without damaging the shelter.
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

I'd say it depends on the shelter. My last trip I shared the Todd Harbor shelter with a group of 3 others. One of them hung his hammock and appeared to be quite comfy.
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

The shelters I've stayed at were not conducive to hanging...trust me, I would have preferred hanging vs sleeping on the floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I thought about this a lot and have looked for a way to attach a temporary grip to a 2x4 that would not do any harm. Clearly you don't want to go around drilling holes or screwing in eye bolts. Something that would work sort of like a cable grip but designed for 2x4s.
SoonerDad
NewbieCake

Post by SoonerDad »

A couple of sturdy c-clamps should work....put something soft on the floor below you the first time :-)
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

SoonerDad wrote:A couple of sturdy c-clamps should work....put something soft on the floor below you the first time :-)
You might want to try this in the garage first. The amount of pressure required to secure against a lateral pull on a C-clamp of that magnitude will probably be enough to damage the wood.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

DonNewcomb wrote:
SoonerDad wrote:A couple of sturdy c-clamps should work....put something soft on the floor below you the first time :-)
You might want to try this in the garage first. The amount of pressure required to secure against a lateral pull on a C-clamp of that magnitude will probably be enough to damage the wood.
A couple of small plywood backers for the clamp may minimize damage to 2X4, or use the ledge(4X4) to mount your clamps and backers; test at home first.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
SoonerDad
NewbieCake

Post by SoonerDad »

I was not actually concerned with denting the wood

In fact, I was trying to think of a good way to add a small 'point" to the pads on the clamp to help with holding power :-)
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

SoonerDad wrote:I was not actually concerned with denting the wood

In fact, I was trying to think of a good way to add a small 'point" to the pads on the clamp to help with holding power :-)
That sounds like a fine waiting to happen to me. Why not just set up outside the shelter?
SoonerDad
NewbieCake

Post by SoonerDad »

You might want to ask the original poster....you know....since they asked about INSIDE the shelter

Is there a fine for denting the wood of the shelters???
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

There are two types of Rangers on the island. The parks employee who gives the leave no trace talk or fills out your permit for you and then there's enforcement officers (The ones who carry a side arm).

Enforcement officers can and do gift tickets for a variety of violations. While I don't know first hand, if they saw a hammock hung inside a shelter and causing damage to the shelter it would be up to their discretion to give a ticket or not for destruction of parks department property.

Not a gamble I'd like to take but to each their own.
SoonerDad
NewbieCake

Post by SoonerDad »

"Damage" is a relative term....There is leaving a mark and there is degrading the structure.I am quite certain I have damaged the shelters with my head....but you would be hard pressed to tell where :-)

The "dents" that you would make to insure a clamp holding would certainly do no more damage than the pocketknife graffitti
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I'm certain a c clamp or similar type device can be designed to leave no damage.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

Just thinking, c-clamps would not be something I'd ever choose to lug around in my pack, personally. Not sure how much a suitably-sized one would weigh, but I'm pretty sure it would be a relatively large penalty.

In August I saw a variety of things in shelters, including some fairly substantial hooks in one, little cup hooks (which I took advantage of to keep my pack suspended away from the mice) in another, nails, etc. Over the years people have done some modifications, I guess.