Favorite scenic view, spot, lookout

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Re: Favorite scenic view, spot, lookout

Post by treeplanter »

MikeTokarz wrote:........I'm not sure I remember that ridge. Was it before or after the mines? We were moving pretty quick on the way back from Otter Lake so I'm not surprised I missed it. How far off the trail? These are the kind of spots I'd especially love to capture since they're seen so little.
The ridge is well before the mines. No more than a ten minute hike from the campground. My memory is walking through a stand of mature aspen and noticing this rocky ridge about ten feet from the north side of the trail. Pretty hard to miss, it’s almost like a rock wall running parallel to the trail. It’s relatively easy to climb, there are enough “steps” built it the rock it’s like climbing stairs. Once on top, I believe you’re actually on the crest of the Minong Ridge. I know I took some pics but have to find them. This was back in the 35mm slide film days so I have to locate my stash of slides.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Favorite scenic view, spot, lookout

Post by Midwest Ed »

As far as sunsets from designated campgrounds go, Todd Harbor cannot be beat. There is a small bluff overlooking the harbor looking southwest. The harbor is small enough with many features (points and islands) so that a wide variety of framing opportunities are available.

Here's one example from Google Earth Panaramio:

Sadly, I've never been a morning person. I don't believe I've purposefully witnessed any sunrise in decades.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013