Mid-May Route Ideas

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Mid-May Route Ideas

Post by JerryB »

I am thinking of going to the island from MN on May18 (Wed.), returning that next Sunday.

I did a similar trip a few years back. It was cold but the views were great because it was before leaf out. I distinctly remember marveling at the view from Island Mine, which never happens mid-summer! Just wondering if anyone has feelings about a good route for that time of year. The Feldtman Loop is what I did before and it was great, maybe with the addition of Hugginin this year. Any other ideas? I can start at Windigo or McCargo, but I do not want to take the VII any further than that. Thanks!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Mid-May Route Ideas

Post by hooky »

This is of particular interest to me as my son and I may be on the boat with you Jerry. It really depends on his summer semester and what classes he is able to get registered. I'm thinking about heading to McCargoe and working our way back to Windigo. We were pondering over a map when he was visiting last week.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I always hike IR in mid/late May, to take advantage of the holiday, and because there's no bugs or people. The island can be just as beautiful as it is in the summer.

You won't have too many options for a short week-long hike from Windigo, but if you were to do McCargoe, the options grow exponentially. Otherwise, have you considered doing some cross-country hikes?
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

fonixmunkee wrote:I always hike IR in mid/late May, to take advantage of the holiday, and because there's no bugs or people. The island can be just as beautiful as it is in the summer.

You won't have too many options for a short week-long hike from Windigo, but if you were to do McCargoe, the options grow exponentially. Otherwise, have you considered doing some cross-country hikes?
By cross country, do you mean off trail? I have toyed with that in the past but do not think I would do it in May--could be awfully muddy
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

hooky wrote:This is of particular interest to me as my son and I may be on the boat with you Jerry. It really depends on his summer semester and what classes he is able to get registered. I'm thinking about heading to McCargoe and working our way back to Windigo. We were pondering over a map when he was visiting last week.
My son may be with me as well! I thought of your route--McCargo back to Windigo. I did that with the Scouts a few years back. Also, McCargo over to McCoskey, etc. is also nice. You are probably right that those and Feldtman Loop are the only choices. I may be leaning to that because I have never been to Hugginin. (I thought of going there two years after the Minong, but I was ready for some pizza!)
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

McCargoe to Malone?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Ingo wrote:McCargoe to Malone?
That is a good idea. One of the few places I have not been to on the island.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

JerryB wrote:
Ingo wrote:McCargoe to Malone?
That is a good idea. One of the few places I have not been to on the island.
I've paddled to Malone and it's a great site. Haven't done the trail so can't speak to that.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Thanks, everyone. I think I will do McCargo--Todd H--Hatchett (just to shorten the next day's hike)--Malone. If bad weather strikes, I can skip Hatchett and layover
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I did a pickup from Malone in the fall of 2014. I really liked it. It was right around a full moon and it was neat to see the lighthouse and the full moon. One group was obviously photographers and they were trying to time it just right with the moon in the first part of sunset. Sounded like a good idea, so I tried it with my little point & shoot. I tried...

Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

That tree looks familiar :)
10551113_10202783749488760_8555168809315064915_n.jpg
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

nice!
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

I've done the McCargo to Malone trip and I really enjoyed it. Especially, heading down to Malone from the Greenstone. In May the trail may be easier to follow. It was overgrown when I did it a month or two later then when you plan to visit.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Thanks, Jer!
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

DONT FORGET! McCargoe Cove boardwalk to east chickenbone is really dangerous. Will be closed mid June to get fixed and McCargoe dock will be closed awhile.