[Tool] Isle Royale Trip Planner Spreadsheet

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: [Tool] Isle Royale Trip Planner Spreadsheet

Post by dcclark »

Midwest Ed wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:38 pm
dcclark wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:44 amI use Acme Mapper in Topo mode.
Thanks for the online mapper. I used to use one but it's not as good as Acme.
I notice the topo map loaded is showing 2 Feldtman trails. The Eastern one was abandoned quite some time ago. I'm sure most of it is under water now as that area had many boardwalks.
I've used Acme Mapper for years to plan out adventures in the Copper Country. Those topos vary in age a lot, and you never quite know what you'll find!
frank
NewbieCake

Post by frank »

God bless you for this awesome sheet and all your advice!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by upnorthjeeper »

This is a great tool. Thank you very much for sharing!
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
lsnDET
NewbieCake

Post by lsnDET »

I wanted to say thank you for sharing such a helpful tool, but also thank you for not making me feel like a maniac when I build spreadsheets like this to plan trips! My backpacking companions all make fun of me, so it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one :D
MAWalker
NewbieCake

Post by MAWalker »

I’m planning my first trip and excited to try this! I’m a big list-maker and even keep my budget on a spreadsheet, but haven’t had to plan specific mileage around ferries and such so it’s a bit intimidating. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DakotaHoosier
NewbieCake

Post by DakotaHoosier »

Great spreadsheet! I found it AFTER submitting to the NPS for our scout trip, but now I've got some good detail to plan out each day. (Itinerary is NOT from the thread's spreadsheet!)
Attachments
ItineraryShot.png
DASchafer
NewbieCake

Post by DASchafer »

Ingo wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:33 am Updated link that forces you to make a copy first (which is required to use). Again, note that you need a Google account to use, since it resides on Google Drive/Sheets.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... aUsp0/copy
I realize this spreadsheet has been up for a long time but I was hoping if you could take a look at something for me. I belive I encountered a bug, when choosing either Pickerel_Cove_Portage or Pickerel_Cove_Campground i get a #REF error when trying to choose a next destination. (There was a problem
The data you entered in cell C10 violates the data validation rules set on this cell.) For example start at Belle Isle Dock then choose Pickerel Cove Portage and that will get you the #REF error. Im not able to see what the issue is but my spreadsheet skills are lacking.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

DASchafer wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:36 am
Ingo wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:33 am Updated link that forces you to make a copy first (which is required to use). Again, note that you need a Google account to use, since it resides on Google Drive/Sheets.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... aUsp0/copy
I realize this spreadsheet has been up for a long time but I was hoping if you could take a look at something for me. I belive I encountered a bug, when choosing either Pickerel_Cove_Portage or Pickerel_Cove_Campground i get a #REF error when trying to choose a next destination. (There was a problem
The data you entered in cell C10 violates the data validation rules set on this cell.) For example start at Belle Isle Dock then choose Pickerel Cove Portage and that will get you the #REF error. Im not able to see what the issue is but my spreadsheet skills are lacking.
Well the good news is that I can replicate the error, so I see what you mean. I'll take a look and let you know when it's fixed. Hopefully it's not too difficult to track down.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

I think it should be good now. You will need to delete what you have and copy the public version again. Thanks for pointing it out and please let me know if you still have issues or find anything else.

FYI, there were a couple behind the scenes, hidden elements where I misspelled Pickerel as Pickeral :roll: . Apparently not too many paddlers have used it, going thru there.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
DASchafer
NewbieCake

Post by DASchafer »

Thanks so much for fixing this, and for making this spreadsheet in the first place.
Apparently not too many paddlers have used it, going thru there.
Kind of surprising to me.
This will be my first trip to Isle Royale, I will be going with my wife and our 7 year old son. This trip planner has been very helpful for planning. Thanks again.
Jfisher387
NewbieCake

Post by Jfisher387 »

This is awesome. I really struggle with figuring out how far I can go just looking at a map. This is amazing! Thanks!
HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by HoosierHiker1202 »

I recently completed my first trip to IR (trip report coming). No way we could have done this without your help.
First trip- June 2021 - Windigo to Rock Harbor
June 2022 - Moosewatch for Educators
Mdskpr
NewbieCake

Post by Mdskpr »

Ingo,
I appreciate all the effort you put into developing this sheet...thank you! However, when I save a copy, I'm having an issue. After selecting my starting point (Windigo), the next cell C9, only gives me the option to _End_Of_Trip (Windigo or Feldman). I've checked on each of the ininery sheets and it's the same thing. I attempted to export it into Excel, and am experiencign the same issue. Can you take a look and see if there's been any corruption?
22:WI-IM-HL-TH-MC-MB-3M-RH :D
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Hi Mdskpr,

When you select Windigo_Dock, the next drop-down should show the following 3 options:
_End_of_Trip
Feldtmann_Lake_Campground
Washington_Creek_Campground

If those 3 aren't showing, then your sheet is probably corrupt. I've checked the public sheet and it's OK, so go ahead and make yourself a new copy. Make sure you don't change anything in "PlaceNames" or "Combos"--any little change there can mess things up!

If those options are showing, then you probably want to select Washington_Creek_Campground as the next waypoint. That will then give you options to all next possible trail waypoints from there, e.g. the Greenstone_Minong_Junction, and then you can head down either the Greenstone or Minong trail. The way it works it forces you to enter each trail segment and doesn't let you just jump ahead to where you're ending up--and sometimes those segments are short. The waypoint names may not always be obvious, so it helps to keep a map handy too. Hope that makes sense.

Have fun planning and a great trip!
Mdskpr
NewbieCake

Post by Mdskpr »

Ingo...thank you for the reply & direction.

In planning my trip I believe I ran into an issue. From Hatch Lake / Greenstone Junction, there is no option for Hatchet Lake Campground or Minong Trail junction toward Todd Harbor. You can only travel to: Ishpeming Point, Desor, or Island MIne /Greenstone junction.
22:WI-IM-HL-TH-MC-MB-3M-RH :D