August Trip Plans

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

KevinWelch
NewbieCake

August Trip Plans

Post by KevinWelch »

I am planning a August trip to Isle Royale
My plan is to arrive in Rock Harbour on Friday August 18, I'll mail a resupply in Windigo for 7-8 days later, then return to Rock Harbour to catch a ferry out on the 3rd of September.

Details are here : https://milestepper.com/s/55l5dc

Schedule will look something like this:

01 - Daisy Farm - 7.1 MI
02 - McCargoe Cove - 8.0 MI
03 - Little Todd Harbour - 13.3 MI
04 - Lake Desor - 5.7 MI
05 - Zero Day
06 - Huginnin Cove - 14.4 MI
07 - Windigo Area TBD - 4.6 MI
08 - Zero Day
09 - Feldtmann Lake - 8.8 MI
10 - Siskiwit Bay - 10.3 MI
11 - S. Lake Desor - 9.9 MI
12 - Hatchett Lake - 6 MI
13 - Chickenbone Lake - 10 MI
14 - Lane Cove - 11.2 MI
15 - Zero Day
16 - Rock Harbour / GTFO - 6.9 MI

Thoughts, critiques, etc.
Last edited by KevinWelch on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: September Trip Plans

Post by Tom »

Welcome to the forum, KevinWelch!

In taking a look at your gear list, I'll surmise you're an experienced backpacker. (BTW, I love the Peak Camera clip for hiking.)
A couple of initial thoughts:
- Are you planning on mailing a food drop for Windigo? Post Labor Day, supplies are most likely limited, and possibly the store even closed down.
- I'd say the two toughest days might be the run from Little Todd to Hugginin (that will be a long day on the legs) and then perhaps Feldtmann to Island Mine, although that's not as bad as the Minong.
- While most of your desired campsites are clear, I'm not sure how your trip appears to end.. The Greenstone dead-ends to the NE, and there is no camp past Lane Cove. Backcountry camping would probably be tough in that area; are you backtracking?
- I recognize many a traveler first plans a trip to Isle Royale with a desire to hammer out some miles, but I'll encourage slowing down and enjoying the scenery, too!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I agree with Tom on the two very long days. That does not sound like fun to me. Also, if the Minong is wet on your long day, it will be doubly bad--slow, slippery and muddy (near the dams and cedar swamps).
Stephen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Stephen »

Aquamira is not recommended, they suggest filtering for the tapeworm.
KevinWelch
NewbieCake

Post by KevinWelch »

Thanks all for the feedback,

I may try and change my plans to cut some miles out to enjoy the time more. My plan was to end on the east end of the island and backtrack to rock Harbour.

As for the aquamira its a backup only I plan on using the sawyer mini primarily.

My plan is to mail a package to windigo
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by 3MTA3 »

Little Todd to Hugginin is going to be a rough day. According to my mileage chart, that's 19.1 miles (18.5 from the trail split & .6 to the campground), most of those being pretty tough trail. In 2002, when we were 19 years old, my friend & I went from Little Todd to Washington Creek. We planned on staying at N. Desor, but elected to push on after we had put up our tent. We hiked in the dark with makeshift headlamps, stopping only once (from N. Desor) for a siesta at the beaver dam area. We made it to the shelters around 4am, if I recall correctly.

I'm also curious about the eastern part of your itinerary. A day-to-day campground-to-campground list would be beneficial.
KevinWelch
NewbieCake

Post by KevinWelch »

This is sort of what I was planning. I also have two zero mile days planned. I may have to adjust my schedule though as I am unsure if the ferries continue to run that late in the season :

Daisy Farm - Day 1 - 8 MI
Minong Mine - Day 2 - 10 MI
Little Todd Harbour - Day 3 - 11 MI
Huginnin Cove - Day 4 - 18 MI (May change perhaps break at Lake Desor so its not such a long hike)
Feldtmann Lake - Day 5 - 11 MI
Island Mine - Day 6 - 13 MI
Hatchet Lake - Day 7 - ~10 MI
Chickenbone Lake - Day 8 - 9MI
Lane Cove - Day 9 - 10 MI
Lookout Louise - Day 10 - End of trip return to rock Harbour
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Looking at the sites for each, the ranger stops running on 9/12 (I assume that means the last return trip from the island is the 13th). After the 9th, the Queen run on Mondays and Fridays only until the 30th.
3MTA3
NewbieCake

Post by 3MTA3 »

KevinWelch wrote:This is sort of what I was planning. I also have two zero mile days planned. I may have to adjust my schedule though as I am unsure if the ferries continue to run that late in the season :

Daisy Farm - Day 1 - 8 MI
Minong Mine - Day 2 - 10 MI
Little Todd Harbour - Day 3 - 11 MI
Huginnin Cove - Day 4 - 18 MI (May change perhaps break at Lake Desor so its not such a long hike)
Feldtmann Lake - Day 5 - 11 MI
Island Mine - Day 6 - 13 MI
Hatchet Lake - Day 7 - ~10 MI
Chickenbone Lake - Day 8 - 9MI
Lane Cove - Day 9 - 10 MI
Lookout Louise - Day 10 - End of trip return to rock Harbour
A few observations:

-I don't see the zero mile days, or am I missing something?
-Minong Mine does not have a campground. McCargoe Cove does. Visiting Minong Mine is neat while you're there.
-Little Todd is amazing, IMO. Good choice.
-I'd probably do the N. Desor option instead of going all the way to Huginnin. Just from experience. ;)
-Lane Cove to Lookout Louise to Rock Harbor is a longer day than it seems because you have to backtrack around Tobin Harbor. If you're set on going to Lookout Louise (which is beautiful), consider staying at Rock Harbor/3 mile on one of your "zero mile days" & renting a canoe to paddle to the entrance trail at Tobin Harbor.
-Maybe try something like this:
Day 1: Daisy
Day 2: McCargoe
Day 3: Little Todd
Day 4: N. Desor
Day 5: Washington Creek
Day 6: Day off to explore Windigo area
Day 7: S. Desor
Day 8: W. Chickenbone (Long day)
Day 9: 3 Mile
Day 10: Walk in to Rock Harbor, rent a canoe, go to Lookout Louise, go home.
KevinWelch
NewbieCake

Post by KevinWelch »

Thanks for the input, I'll pour over my plan and make a few updates. I definitely failed to notice that 18 mile day in my initial plan and will be making adjustments there.

I had not planned my zero mile days, just if I found place I wanted to spend more time exploring I would take one. I may try and do some more research and choose good areas to spend the extra time.
KevinWelch
NewbieCake

Re: August Trip Plans

Post by KevinWelch »

I edited my original post with more updates and finalizing of details
3MTA3
NewbieCake

Post by 3MTA3 »

I was thinking of doing almost the same trip, but earlier in the season!
SoonerDad
NewbieCake

Post by SoonerDad »

I did Little Todd to Wash Creek in a long wet day ....was going to Huginnin but decided a shelter at WC sounded like more fun since it had been POURING all day

Very doable....but then again, my first day I went from Windigio to Sikskiwitt :-)

When I hike solo I tend to just go until I feel like stopping...on ISRO that sometimes means stopping a long ways off!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

hooky wrote:Looking at the sites for each, the ranger stops running on 9/12 (I assume that means the last return trip from the island is the 13th). After the 9th, the Queen run on Mondays and Fridays only until the 30th.
I think that web page for the Ranger III has not been updated yet. Those dates do not match up to the specified days for 2016 but do for 2015. I found another site that showed 2016 dates but I can't locate it now. It showed the last round trip for this year to be on 9/16 and 9/17. Please check with the Park to be sure though.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013