Stream Crossing just before Little Todd (heading West)

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Stream Crossing just before Little Todd (heading West)

Post by JerryB »

I will be on the island on the third week of May. Rather than stay over at McCargo (where I will be dropped off), I am thinking of going straight to Todd harbor. Then, to Little Todd and backtracking the next day to Hatchett. Because I will be staying at Hatchett (before heading to Malone), I like this idea because the trip from Todd to Hatchett makes for a very light day and I would like a little more.

Here is the question: What can I expect of the stream crossing just before Little Todd. I did the Minong a few years ago, but later and it was no problem. Sx inches over the ankles. Will it be much more than that earlier in the Spring?

Thanks. Curious minds want to know!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Stream Crossing just before Little Todd (heading West)

Post by Tom »

I think you'll be relying on any hikers before you this season to give you an idea. I think that stream is influenced both by how much moisture gets trapped up on the lowlands during a winter, which is slower to release, as well as general runoff from any rain event, which would appear faster. It doesn't have a larger body of water stabilizing it, from what I can determine.
Here is a picture from June, maybe 8-10 years ago.
IMG_0970.JPG
The water was about waist deep at the deepest point, flowing pretty well, and the log bridge a bit springy and floating. There had been a fair amount of rain prior and during our trip.
I recall another forum member posted a picture that same year, in August, and it would be as you describe.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Here is a picture of my daughter about to cross. As Tom mentioned, "The Bridge" was rather sketchy and springy. The water was moving along at a pretty good clip too. The trail down to Little Todd was overgrown, but not to bad. The campsite and beach are beautiful.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Thanks to you both. I was there two years ago and the water was no where near waist deep, although that was later in the year. The "bridge" had thinned quite a bit too. I waded, figuring I was sure to slip off the bridge.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

We were there 2 yrs ago , about that time too. The water was just below knee deep .....I have a few pics but cant seem to find them at the moment. We went up stream a little, the footing seemed better.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Looking at the weather this season thus far it points to flow that will likely be lighter than normal. Snowfall so far this season is only slightly below normal but several warm spells have dramatically reduced present ground cover to way below normal levels. This claim is based on snow mobile trail reports in the Keweenaw, anecdotal reports of local Keweenaw residents and having kept an eye on the Mott Island web cam. But it's still only mid-March. No present or likely ice cover on Superior increases the chance of future lake effect snow. Heavier than average late snow or a very rainy late April-early May will obviously change things.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
HikerGal
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by HikerGal »

The picture of the log bridge is exactly as I remember it - sketchy and scary.

I remember this stream crossing very well. The first time we encounter it it was the end of July/early August 2014. The stream was flowing very fast. I certainly could not walk the log and going in the water was out of the question so I very painstakingly scooted along the log. Of course my daughter did not understand why I could not just balance on the log. It probably did not help it was raining and thundering in the distance but there was no way I was going to be able to balance on the log, backpack or no backpack.

Last year (2015) we again went to Little Todd and I was not looking forward to this crossing (that is putting it mildly). Same time of year - end of July /early August - and we could literally walk on the exposed rocks in the stream! I really like Little Todd, so it would have been worth it to scoot if need be, but it ended up being much more pleasant just walking on the rocks.

I realize this is no where near the time of year you would be going - but I just never would have realized it could be a night and day difference crossing that stream.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Thanks. I agree with you on balancing on the log. I just waded across (I put on water shoes so my boots stayed dry). My son just skipped across the log. Youth. GRRRRR
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I have posted this on my minong trip report ...but they work too good not to mention them again....home built ultra light waders were my solution ....they make getting water easier too :(

There are commercially manufactured ones as well....if you search the web

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2