Picnic Tables

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Jared 599
NewbieCake

Picnic Tables

Post by Jared 599 »

First I want to say thanks to all the people who post on here. It is a great resource for someone like myself planning a trip. I have 2 groups of scouts coming to the Island and as we are figuring out gear, the question comes in on a camp chair. We will be in the group sites and am wondering if their are picnic tables, benches, or anything like that in the campsites. I don't want to sit on the ground for a week, but also don't want to carry a stool/chair if not needed. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Picnic Tables

Post by Midwest Ed »

Welcome to the forums Jared,

The general rule to go by is that campgrounds with shelters have picnic tables, even at the group sites. Only campgrounds on Lake Superior have shelters but not every Lake Superior campground has a shelter. A slightly better indicator of which Lake Superior campgrounds have shelters is which ones have docks as they also almost always have shelters with at least one exception, Hay Bay, but you won't be hiking there as Hay Bay is not on any trail. Makes me wonder if Hay Bay has a picnic table?

Your best source of information regarding docks and shelters is the chart on page 6 of the 2016 Greenstone, the park newsletter. At the shelterless, dockless campgrounds, you will occasionally find resting spots improvised by previous inhabitants (rocks or logs), left in place for your enjoyment and comfort, but don't count on it. Another campground creature comfort to bring is a pair of lightweight "lounging" shoes, like Crocs, moccasins or even slippers.

If you are disappointed, finding your group site without its picnic table you hoped for, try looking around as they can sometimes "walk off" and end up at a different camp site or even on the dock. I always planned my itinerary to highly favor Lake Superior campgrounds but not for sitting amenities but because I simply love being by the Big Lake for a whole variety of reasons including the breeze (less bugs and cooler temperatures, although that can be a negative sometimes), the sunsets, the sounds (for sleeping) and better tasting water. But don't be too concerned, spending any evening or morning at any of the inland Isle Royale campsites, with or without a nice place to sit, will a fantastic place to be. You will have a great time regardless your itinerary or posterior appointments.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I always include a homemade small(8"x16") foam pad for the posterior appointments, good for kneeling on, also!
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ARRC »

Alite makes a packable chair that is 1 lb 6 oz called the mayfly. Great chair, but pricey. Very comfortable.